Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY cane pole question.

Post Thanks / Like

Default DIY cane pole question.

I'm sure a lot of you guys around the south have seen the random bamboo growing around (NC area specifically). Out of curiosity, has anyone made a cane pole out of it? Both my in laws have got it in their backyard. Just wondering if it would be worth a darn.
    - Semper Fi
    - Anthony

Post Thanks / Like

When I was young I did not realize that canepoles were sold in stores. Yep we used the ones growing. Might not last quite as long due to not being kiln dried or varnished but that did not matter as we would just cut another. Could even get em as limp or stiff as needed by selection and cut placement. I would go cut me some and go fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Read an article years ago about hanging the cane by the butt and using a heavy rock tied to the skinny end to keep it straight as it dried
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along
    Likes TowboatTroller LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I've read a couple articles about that too. I just thought it would be a fun thing to try. I was just not sure how skinny that skinny end should be. I'm not sure it would matter. Just cut down a couple, and try them out I guess...

Maybe when they come a little more shallow later in the season.
    - Semper Fi
    - Anthony

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNKK View Post
    I've read a couple articles about that too. I just thought it would be a fun thing to try. I was just not sure how skinny that skinny end should be. I'm not sure it would matter. Just cut down a couple, and try them out I guess...

Maybe when they come a little more shallow later in the season.
    You can varnish it also after it dries if you won't it to last for many years. Let it air dry till it dries out while hanging like Dockshootinjack said. We always left the end pretty skinny to see the bite better but when we tied the line on the pole we would start by tying it to a section of pole that was larger to start with in case the skinny end broke.

Cray is online now Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Just like the above post's. Grandpa would cut it and hang in barn. When dry sandpaper off the film that forms like wax on outside. Varnish and let dry a week or so. Cut tip based on wheather it was a brim pole or for bigger fish. Didn't have to hurry cause he kept some ready to go all the time.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I grew up fishing with them starting 65 years ago.....most bait shops had them.....sometimes we would go down in the swamps by the river and cut them....had to dry them out first......caught many fish on them....used a 30# test line, swivel and a 10# test line for the hook....hang up and U only loose the hook....finally switched to jig poles some years back.....this was my last batch to go.....

Name:  Triton 011.jpg
Views: 1689
Size:  27.1 KB
    The "King" is coming
    This could be the Day....
    RETIRED LOUISIANA CRAPPIE HUNTER
    Likes scrat, MNKK, Cane Pole, Tracker123, Fish on Line LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have made more than a few over the years.Cut them longer than you need,and varnish the whole thing pretty quickly after cutting ( helps slow the drying process,which helps prevent cracking )Find a dry warm place to dry the pole,if possible ( I strongly suggest) stabilize the cane to something at least as long as the cane,to help it dry straightOne way that works well is to cut several canes,and tie them securely together ( by wrapping ) with twine.
    After several months,they should be dry,find the sensitivity you want the tip ( I try to cut just beyond a node,leaving the node for strength.
    Likes MNKK, prefers shiners, funbun LIKED above post

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

crappie like minnows , no matter what is connected to the line . It was not very long ago that several regulars at Enid slow trolled with cane poles . They made homemade guides as well . quite often they would limit out when others did not . We spend a lot more money than necessary because we like crappie fishing not because we need it .

Post Thanks / Like

Brings a tear to my eye thinking bout my childhood

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast