Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: TM Depth Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default TM Depth Question

Ok...probably a pretty silly question but someone once told me the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask!! Anyway, what are your opinions on the depth you put your TM propeller down in the water? I mainly fish a lake that is not more than 10ft deep and I could easily have the TM all the way down without fear of hitting anything but wondered if I should be raising it up quite a bit due to it being a shallow lake and possibly spooking more fish? It may not make a difference one way or the other but am curious as to what everyone else does and I couldn't find anything about it in the archives....imagine that, can't believe no one else has asked a question so brilliant and enlightening as this one!!

Post Thanks / Like

I want my motor just deep enough that it stays submersed. Occasionally, in big waves or wake, it may actually come all the way out of the water. I'm doing this for two reasons, the first being that I don't want to spook any more fish than I have to. Secondly, my TM has a transducer on it and I want my sonar to be able to give me as much information as possible. Especially in shallow water, I want to see as much of the water column as I can.
    Likes Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I don't usually run it any deeper than I have to but deep enough that prop doesn't come out of water in waves.

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

As deep as it will go better boat control. When you paddle a canoe or kayak you put the paddle as deep as you can get it not just on top of the surface.. Set up boats for a local boat dealer run into this question all the time.Actually get better performance from your trolling motor battery(longer life).Less drag on bottom of boat,ect.
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Post Thanks / Like

The manual that came with my minn kota edge 45 said this:
    ADJUSTING THE DEPTH OF THE MOTOR The propeller tip must be submerged at least 12” to avoid churning or agitation of surface water. 1. With the motor deployed, firmly grasp the outer shaft or control head and hold it steady. 2. Loosen the depth adjustment knob until the shaft slides freely. 3. Raise or lower the motor to the desired depth. 4. Turn the motor control head to the desired position. 5. Tighten depth adjustment knob to secure the motor in place.
    So as long as you are deeper than 12" it is up to you how much deeper you go. I would try different depths to see which runs the best and quietest.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I run mine a ft or so under water for the reason scrat posted plus I have found the same thing Jackie is talking about. Years ago ran motor real shallow when bass fishing in skinny water. Found when prop spun water at surface you would see fish run off quite aways from boat. Think that little bit of noise towards the surface will scare them more than any noise lower in the water column.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cray View Post
    I run mine a ft or so under water for the reason scrat posted plus I have found the same thing Jackie is talking about. Years ago ran motor real shallow when bass fishing in skinny water. Found when prop spun water at surface you would see fish run off quite aways from boat. Think that little bit of noise towards the surface will scare them more than any noise lower in the water column.
    Thanks as always Cray and everyone else.....my main concern was whether or not one depth produced more noise than the other. Just one of those things I have pretty much always left it where it was and didn't adjust it....mainly because if I raised it any then it got in the way of my rod transport rack...its always something. Thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is 60" shaft. I run it as deep as it will go, most of the time.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536