Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trolling motors

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling motors

Does anybody have an opinion on which would be the better unit Minn Kota Ulterra or Motor Guide Xi5. I have a Terrova now and not happy with it being noise and rather slow to change directions. It is several years old hoping new units don't have this problem.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends on how you fish. Guys who have the Xi5 like it for holding a spot. Think the minkota is better for spider rigging and trolling. Kinda depends on how you fish and what you require of the motor. I know the Terrova is built a whole lot more sturdy. The Ulterra should be great if you need the automatic stow and deploy. My Terrova is a couple of years old and not noise to me. If that is only problem with yours I think I might take drive cover off and clean and lube it. Bet that would help some. If you look to the future as far as following contours you can do that with Humminbird and IPilot Link. And if you like the XI5 think I would suffer and hold off cause I really expect they will be out shortly with one that will do the same thing with the Lowrance units.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling motors

I bought the wireless MotorGuide and hate it. Makes way too much noise when turning. I rigged up a handle on the shaft and use it as hand control for steering and power on the foot peddle. I'd much rather have a bow mount hand control.

Post Thanks / Like

My buddy has a wireless motorguide and we both hate it. Everytime you hit a button on the romote it makes a beep noise. Not bad if you change directions every 10 minutes. Super annoying when you are changing direction every 5 seconds to stay verticle jigging in the river. My Minn kota only beeps when you raise or lower the speed. Just my
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"