PDA

View Full Version : Motorguide Wireless Trolling Motor

ThrillSeeker
12-22-2006, 11:19 AM
Well....the old trusty Johnson trolling motor went kaput this weekend, and I've been able to get the green light to get a new trolling motor for my boat. I've been eyeing the Motorguide Wireless trolling motor, and I was wonder if anyone has experience w/ either Motorguide products, or wireless trolling motors. Any help would be appreciated.

Barnacle Bill
12-22-2006, 11:25 AM
Personally I would get the wireless (co-pilot) Minnkota.

skiptomylu
12-22-2006, 11:26 AM
I will only buy Minn Kota and I have to also admit it's been a long time since I had a Motorguide, but I am totally sold on Minn Kota. Love the shaft not being metal as is Motorguide which can get bent and big trouble where the Minn Kota will bend and bounce right back.

I would not buy anything else, but that is just me!

Barnacle Bill
12-22-2006, 11:28 AM
I will only buy Minn Kota and I have to also admit it's been a long time since I had a Motorguide, but I am totally sold on Minn Kota. Love the shaft not being metal as is Motorguide which can get bent and big trouble where the Minn Kota will bend and bounce right back.

Plus the shaft has a lifetime guarntee!

ThrillSeeker
12-22-2006, 11:52 AM

Both the Motorguide and the Minnkota have composite shafts...I guess I've been leaning towards the motorguide because it has the foot control and the wireless key fob. Does the Minnkota have that option too?

Barnacle Bill
12-22-2006, 12:33 PM
Both the Motorguide and the Minnkota have composite shafts...I guess I've been leaning towards the motorguide because it has the foot control and the wireless key fob. Does the Minnkota have that option too?

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/products/accessories/detail.asp?pg=copilotfresh

1weezer
12-22-2006, 12:49 PM
You will have a hard time trying to find some one to work on a Motor Guide if you ever need it. The Minn-Kota trolling motors are so much better than the Motor Guide. I have worked on both of them and can tell you that the people at Minn-Kota are much better to work with. Just about every service center I know of has quit dealing and working on Motor Guides. Including myself.

skiptomylu
12-22-2006, 12:51 PM
Agree 1weezer Motor Guide sux!

JIGJERKER
12-22-2006, 03:55 PM
Have Had Motorguide In The Past,with Problems.been Using Minnkota For The Last Few Years And Have Had Really Good Service.now Have The Minnkoto 55 With Auto Pilot And The Co-pilot Wireless Remote.think I Have Died And Gone To Heaven.

crappieseeker
12-23-2006, 12:32 PM
I have hit my motorguide trolling motor hard several times on things and have never bent or damaged it. I hate the darn thing though, if I buy another one it will be a min-k

drover
12-23-2006, 09:13 PM
I have a 90's model minnkota auto pilot, the one with the wireless foot control. the only time I have had a problem is when the batteries in the remote get weak. As mentioned before the minnkota's are easy to repair and there service department is great.

Ranger R61
12-26-2006, 10:36 AM
There is an article in the December 2006 issue of Bass & Walleye Boats (www.BassAndWalleyeBoats.com) about the Minn Kota Terrova trolling motor. You might find it interesting. You also might want to call service centers who work on both MotorGuide (www.motorguide.com)and Minn Kota (www.minnkotamotors.com). You can look at their web sites to find the service centers nearest you. I for one have been looking at the Motorguide wireless since I already have Motorguide. But since reading the replies I will be doing a lot more checking before buying one. There seems to be a feature on the Minn Kota that I am not sure about on the Motorguide and that is autopilot. My understanding is that you can set a direction and it will keep on that track even it the rough water.
Hope this helps.
Ranger R61

Bridges
12-26-2006, 04:01 PM
A wireless would be nice, but I'd lose the remote controller on my first trip out!