Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Great Evening Fishing Hard water Specks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Great Evening Fishing Hard water Specks

Fished 38 FOW (break line near the deepest hole of 42ft) using crappie minnows and tungsten jig. Started the year with only a couple tungsten lures, now I own 18. It’s amazing how small these lures are but how fast they can drop back down when fishing deep water. Fish were caught between 6pm and 9pm.

Name:  2-2-15.jpg
Views: 1731
Size:  70.5 KB
    A picture is worth a thousand words and I have carpal tunnel syndrome.

Post Thanks / Like

Tungsten jig? I'm not familiar with this. Can you explain?
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

A finesse jig that drops like a stone for reaching panfish and perch in deep structure. Heavyweight, molded tungsten construction delivers a compact profile and fast-sinking performance in deep water and fast currents.

Here is a pretty well written article explaining them: https://midwestoutdoors.com/tungsten...r-alternative/

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kickingback View Post
    Tungsten jig? I'm not familiar with this. Can you explain?
    KB ... tungsten is harder & more dense than lead. Jig heads (or sinkers) are smaller than lead ones, at the same weight ... so they will drop/move through the water faster/easier, and/or you can have a heavier weight jighead in a smaller size (if you need a smaller profile bait at depth or for casting distance, etc).

Tungsten is also touted as an alternative to lead for environmental issues. They're more expensive to make, therefore retail costs are very high in comparison to lead. Price per jig generally runs about $1 each.

... cp

barrelslime is offline Moderator White Bass/Striper/Hybrid Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice catch
    Personal Best 17 1/2"
    " Let us endeavor so to live, that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

Their small profile is ideal for finicky fish. However, due to that same reason I’ve noticed one annoyance using them. Because they are so small and the single hook generally is too, it’s quite common to hook them in the roof of the fish’s mouth. This means the use of pliers can be almost routine when fish are aggressive. This contradicts their main selling point, the ability to catch a fish in deep water and get right back down when a school is located below you.