Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Jig Pole Rigging

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jig Pole Rigging

Hey there ya'll, I just purchased a b&m black widow 20 foot telescopic rod. How much line do I use. do I just leave a few feet or do 14 to 20 feet of line. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Rule of thumb....IMHO ,line should be the same length as the extended rod.I fish with 14' rods,and use 14' of line,as you lift the pole,you should be able to swing the lure ( or fish) toward your waiting hand.Any thing longer or shorter will make the task sloppy at best.I crappie fish from a nucanoe in a sitting position,when I catch a crappie,I simply lift the pole until the fish just clears the boat edge.If the line were to short,the fish would end up swinging out of controll as I try to drop it in the yak.A line to long,makes it difficult to lift the fish enough to just clear the sides,works for me!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yaker View Post
    Rule of thumb....IMHO ,line should be the same length as the extended rod.I fish with 14' rods,and use 14' of line,as you lift the pole,you should be able to swing the lure ( or fish) toward your waiting hand.Any thing longer or shorter will make the task sloppy at best.
    I like the line to be a little shorter than the pole, to compensate for the bend of the tip when you swing the fish in. I’d use 17-18’ of line for a 20’ pole.

Post Thanks / Like

Yup,it's really a matter of preference,start out a bit long,and work toward your preferred length.