Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '05 Johnson 90 hp 2-stroke...Feedback?

Post Thanks / Like

Default '05 Johnson 90 hp 2-stroke...Feedback?

Ladies & Gewbers,

I've done a little homework on these and see there are 2 or 3 diff 2-strokers made in the '05ish time frame. Don't know what the differences might be but I'm assuming internals are probably the same.

I've also deducted that it seems a 4 cycle is most often preferred around here.

I've found a decent buy on a 17 foot tin boat I've settled on and it's got a shiny white 90 Johnnyrude hanging off the back of it. Will I be content with the engine? I've Googled it a bit and haven't found any major concerns with reliability, etc. but I'd like to hear some experienced reviews from any in the know. A little extra maintenance and care engine-wise is not an issue for me as long as it's a reasonably solid powerplant.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Take it to a "johnnyrude" mechanic & have them test it out for you. Angler's Outpost would probably be your closest dealer.
    You might also ask this over on the KY state forum ....

... cp

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    Take it to a "johnnyrude" mechanic & have them test it out for you. Angler's Outpost would probably be your closest dealer.
    You might also ask this over on the KY state forum ....

... cp
    X2 on the check up
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to do that but the boat is about 300 miles up the road...private seller.

Yep...Anglers Outpost's new digs is across the field from me.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KiK View Post
    I'd like to do that but the boat is about 300 miles up the road...private seller.
    Then I wouldn't hand over any cash until the seller allows you to take it into his local dealer & have it checked out. A compression test at least. Might also inquire as to when the last time the lower unit oil was changed, how long the water pump/impeller has been in, and how often the boat was used in the last year. Wouldn't be laying down any cash unless a test ride could be taken, too.

What year/brand/model alum boat is this, if it's rated for a 90hp outboard on a 17' boat ?? Just curious.

... cp
    Likes Tn Johnboy, Billbob, hunter1314 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

It's max rated for 115.
    All good advice. Not sure how I'll accomplish all that at the moment.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Pappy, no ride and test, no dollars. Hook up the boat and put him in the passenger seat and go find a mechanic for a compression test and lower unit plug removal. I wouldn't say anything to the seller as to what tests you want to check, just leave it as needing to have it checked out in general. If he chokes you need to walk away with a clear conscience. He might be straight up, but he might not.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes Tn Johnboy LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 2001 Johnson 90 on a 17 ft glass boat it does fine.
    Do as skeet and CP said, Do you buy a used car without driving it first or having it checked out?

Post Thanks / Like

Take a compression tester with you. You usually have a good power head if the compression is even in all cylinders. Harder to check the lower unit without putting it in the water. Check the color of the LU oil, and the magnet on the bottom LU screw for metal shavings. I would not buy without Running the engine in the lake. The engine is a good unit with little problems overall but who knows how the other guy maintained it.
    We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.
    Likes Billbob, Tn Johnboy LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

BTW, they ALL run good on a hose. You won't know if there are other problems like carbs dirty, firing issues, etc. unless you put a Load on the engine by water testing it in the lake. Looks ARE deceiving!!!!!!!!!
    We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.
    Likes Tn Johnboy, TowboatTroller LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast