Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 1-27 Clinton is open... Sort of

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1-27 Clinton is open... Sort of

The marina ramp and most all of the lake were wide open yesterday afternoon and there appeared to be only a little ice covering the far south bank. There were plenty of boats on the water so we headed up the Wakarusa arm to fish the channel edges. However in the 4-hours we were out there, the SE wind had pushed the entire remaining ice sheet over to the north side, completely sealing off the main lake from the island over to the north shore line and marina. I assumed that we would be able to break our way through without any problems, but the edges of the ice shelf were about 2" thick and quite a bit more further in. We eventually made it back, but here are a couple of lessons learned:

1. Always keep an eye on your exit route whenever there is any ice on the lake.
    2. A 16.5" Aluminum Lowe Deep-V can successfully break through 2-3" of ice (or at least old ice).
    3. A 16.5" Aluminum Lowe Deep-V CANNOT break through 4" of ice.
    4. When you hit 4" of ice, the boat will slide ride up on top of the ice leaving you high and dry (about as high as the pucker factor) and you feel like a stupid polar bear stuck out on iceberg.

I was able to reverse hard enough to pull us back off the ice and back out through our 'channel' and find some more of the 2" thick stuff to get back closer to shore. The ice near shore remained about 2" the rest of the way, so we claimed victory eventually.

PS - The fishing was great. (2) 20-fish limits with enough ease to be fairly picky about the ones kept. All caught relating to structure on the channel edges in 20-24 fow.

Post Thanks / Like

Good job you did not have to drive as far as I did to catch good fish.

Post Thanks / Like

no pics of pucker???

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the lessons, brad

Post Thanks / Like

Good job Lucky and you're never too old to learn something.....makes me wonder how a fiberglass boat would've done....I probably would've started crying
    FAITH, FAMILY, FRIENDS & FISHING...... hopefully in that order but honestly, not always!
    Likes springhillwantabe LIKED above post

crappieslinger is offline Moderator Kansas Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you avoided what could have been a pretty sticky situation. A reminder that we can never be too careful especially this time of the year. Thanks for the report!
    Don't Move a Mussel!! Clean, Drain and Dry EVERY TIME, ON EVERY BODY OF WATER!!
    Likes Jerkey Log LIKED above post