Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baitcast reels for Spider rigging.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Baitcast reels for Spider rigging.

Hello: I have spinning reels on my spider rig rods right now but want to switch some to bait casters to try them out. Just wanted to know what you guys use and recommend. What reels have clickers, what about a flipping switch ? Do the smaller Crappie reels hold up to bigger Walleye, Catfish and Carp ? I'm not like you guys that only catch Crappies other fish like to bother me also. Have a great season. O - R

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Ron ... I think the consensus is that low profile baitcasters with thumbars are the most recommended reels in that situation. Low end brand name reels will probably last longer & present less problems than the small "crappie baitcast" versions.

Some people require having all their reels be of the same brand/model ... while others (like me) don't have a problem with a mixed batch of brands, models, or even types of reels (baitcast/spinning/spincast) being used at the same time. I can, and have, bought used reels from the consignment shelf of my local bait shop ... and got high quality reels, in good condition, for half or less of their retail price. Those and "hand me downs" constitute the majority of my total reel count. If such a situation is available to you, it can be worth a look & you may find a bargain deal.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the small Ryobi reels off e bay for my spider rigging rods, 8-$14 each. I've chucked more than one of the tiny "crappie bait casters" in the lake, absolute junk IMO. I think a coke can would be better.
    Likes dkb23 LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Fisherman's Factory Outlet: Shakespeare Womens Reel
    These are some great reels for the money. Here is a code to help out.
    Fisherman's Factory Outlet: Customer Registration
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cray View Post
    I have always used open face reels also, but I just ordered 8 of these a couple days ago. Reviews were that they did not cast very far, but I won't be casting. Should be here any day.
    Likes yikess LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered some of the reels above. I really like them great price. I had the little bait casters on my poles I will give you if you want them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cray View Post
    Pulled trigger on 4 of these total was $56.50, Thanks Cray !
    Minnermatics Prostaff
    My wife lets me buy all the rods and reels I can hide.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Clark View Post
    I ordered some of the reels above. I really like them great price. I had the little bait casters on my poles I will give you if you want them.
    I had the same ones, they are terrible
    Minnermatics Prostaff
    My wife lets me buy all the rods and reels I can hide.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nixon View Post
    I have always used open face reels also, but I just ordered 8 of these a couple days ago. Reviews were that they did not cast very far, but I won't be casting. Should be here any day.
    Nixon, these reels have a backlash control on them. You thread the line through it then the guide that lays the line on reel. Might be able to bypass that if it is a problem. I just spooled mine right through it sine I just use them for rigging. Good smooth drag.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by justinp61 View Post
    I bought the small Ryobi reels off e bay for my spider rigging rods, 8-$14 each. I've chucked more than one of the tiny "crappie bait casters" in the lake, absolute junk IMO. I think a coke can would be better.
    Agreed. I bought one of the $15 "Crappie Baitcasters" - I won't list the brand name out of fairness - maybe I got a lemon. Anyway, the line worked behind one of the side plates and broke some components inside of 10 minutes. JUNK. Bought some $30 Daiwa's (on sale from $59) and am very pleased - buy a better reel, it's worth a few bucks to save the headache.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast