Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: reservoir draw down ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default reservoir draw down ?

This is only my second season fishing specks on impoundments/reservoirs and yesterday and today is the first time I have seen a major draw down of the lake. Normally there is ice by now but the weather has not cooperated. The lake has been lowered at least 5 feet so I am wondering if I need to wait until the drawdown is done and where should I begin if I need to look in different spots than I normally do? Any info would be greatly appreciated because as long as there is no ice I am going to keep after them until there is safe ice. Thanks.
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been fishing this lake for over forty years. Not all of them from a boat. It has a fall drawdown every year to get ready for the winter snow/ spring melt. I have the fish pretty well patterned now. I fish drops and ledges near or at the channel that has wood there. Three weeks now, i've been having very good times fishing these spots. A month ago i was fishing deep points and slamming slabs. Water temps were 45* then. Its 38* now. Check your lake map and find drops near bends and sharp drops near shore. Take your time and search for brush or rockpiles. We dont have weeds on this lake but if you do, look for deep weed edges too. Minnows are outfishing my jigs 3 to 1. As i tell everyone that fishes with me, if i can find the fish, i know we can catch some. Have a great holiday and hope you can still get on open water after christmas day.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Here in Eastern TN it's not unusual for TVA to draw down the reservoirs 30-40 feet, in anticipation of the spring rains/snowmelt....I use this time of year to go scouting for structure that's not normally exposed during full pool...sometimes I even videotape the areas to review during the winter...that way I know where to concentrate my efforts come next spring...

Bushrod :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. I have just found out they are drawing it down to just the main river channel to do work on the dam so I think I should be able to find a lot of specks in any of the deep holes.
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D