Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Broke old crappie rod. In the market for new rod?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Broke old crappie rod. In the market for new rod?

Hello, all,

I was fishing with my son the other day and my rod got broke on my boat. I am trying to decide what rod type I would need to get. I am fairly new to crappie fishing and I see a lot of rods 8-14 feet. I have never used anything that long and was wondering the benefit of a rod that long. I cast jigs 95% of the time. What pole brand and length. do you recommend for this technique.

thanks in advance,

justin

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

We have B&M,Ozark,Crappiemax.(Bass Pro) just bought two Wally Marshall singature series in the 9 ft and 10 ft model in Med lite.Most of the long crappie rods are not made for casting.These rods have the bigger eyes for casting.Great rods at a good price.Name:  0123151516-00.jpg
Views: 1123
Size:  46.9 KB
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Post Thanks / Like

Justin,

Wow, that is like asking the age old Ford vs. Chevy debate!

You didn't say what size jigs you cast however, I would assume it to be in the 1/32 to 1/8 oz or so catagory. I would look at something in a light weight fast action rod around the 7 to 7.5 foot class. It will throw a small jig quite a long ways. Longer rods are great for dipping brush and lilly pads, pushing and pulling jigs and cranks, or casting a slip rig.

As for the brand... I'm bias as I build my own rods. I won't put down any store bought rod but I also have a hard time recommending one either. If I was in the market for a store bought rod, I would go to several stores (not just one) and pickup everything I could get my hands on. Get something that YOU like, in the feel that YOU like. Personally, if I was to look for store bought rods, I recommend "Eagle Claw". The weight to power ratio is good, they are lightweight, the blanks are good, I own several of them.

Remember, a lot of rods are universal. They can be used for more than one species. Above everything else, get one that YOU like. I would have a very hard time buying one from the internet, magazine, or catalog. Recommendations are a good starting point for you to get your hands on one.

Custom builders start with your specifications, and build from there. In that scenario, you are getting exactly what you are asking for. The price on the other hand is a little different.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Post Thanks / Like

I have read B&M makes a rod Sam Heaton Super Sensitive in a 7 ft model. Any opinions on them. Also does bass pro carry this size. I only see the long ones on the website. I live an hour and a half away and didnt want to waste my time if they dont carry the 7 ft model

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If shopping at BP, take a look at their MicroLite series of rods.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes rcornish, Cmj LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

For casting I would look into the 7' Wally Marshall Signature Series 1pc in a light action or the 7' Sam Heaton Super Sensitive both of these you can cast and shoot with. I own several ozark rods and the 7' spinning rod is the one rod that I would not recommend. It has a very long tail/butt to it that makes it a pain to use.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey there JD,
    I am not sure if BP carries the size your looking for but the easiest and quickest way to find out if they have what you are looking for is to give them a call. There is a BP close to me but I have had relatively good success calling them or you might also get help on their website with your question. The problem you might run into here, is if a guy bought one yesterday that doesn't mean that they will have the same one today. Not wanting to step on any toes was just a thought. Another rod that I like but you don't hear much about unless your in the Missouri forums is Outlaw Crappie and Walleye rods. They are owned by JR Oldham, he guides on Stockton Lake in Missouri. Nice rod and an all around good guy. There are plenty of nice rods though and I am sure that you will find plenty that you like its just narrowing it down is the hard part. Just like wick said "that is like asking the age old Ford vs. Chevy debate!" Good luck and Tight lines...
    Likes mdperson LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for all the help. I feel like you guys have steered me in the right direction

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jdenny View Post
    I have read B&M makes a rod Sam Heaton Super Sensitive in a 7 ft model. Any opinions on them. Also does bass pro carry this size. I only see the long ones on the website. I live an hour and a half away and didnt want to waste my time if they dont carry the 7 ft model
    Yes, I can comment. I have 3 of these rods now (soon to be 4). Two are the 7' SHSS and one is the 9' length. I absolutely love these rods! Have had others, but a lot of the so-called crappie or UL rods are way too whippy for my tastes. Have caught a lot of crappie, yellow perch, bluegill, bass and a couple of decent northern pike on these rods. No complaints, no worries.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I broke my 7ft graphite pOle also, I bought a 6.5ft Berkley lighting rod and am pleased with it so far, caught a small rainbow and a sycamore so far!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast