Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spider rigging a kayak?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spider rigging a kayak?

I'm new to the forum,and new to spider rigging.I have a 12 foot nucanoe,I choose not to use a trolling motor,I like manpower.I would like to use two rods,for spider rigging,but I'm not sure how well it will work by paddling.
    I am also not sure on rod length,I will be solo fishing,so my seat is just off center,toward the stern.Trolling is a bit awkward in the yak,as the rods are difficult to see behind,if I position the rods in front of me,they are in the way of my paddling.
    Spider rigging seems to be the answer,so any tips and pointers for motor less kayak spider rigging would be helpful,thanks

Post Thanks / Like

There is a Conoes, kayaks and other small craft section where you may get answered faster. I know there are guys that do spider rig from there kayaks. I shoot docks from mine some, but have never spider rigged. There is a go pro video on here of somebody spider rigging in a kayak.

Post Thanks / Like

StumpHunter has the video in a thread called short video in the kayaks, canoes, and other small craft section. Hope this helps you in the right direction. Good luck and Great fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

I have done it in my Trident 13. I used 4- 12' poles. Trolling would be a hard task without peddle power or trolling motor.

Post Thanks / Like

i used to have the frontier 12. i used a milk crate . mount rod holders on it and strap in in front of you with a bungee cord..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huntinslabs View Post
    I have done it in my Trident 13. I used 4- 12' poles. Trolling would be a hard task without peddle power or trolling motor.
    Thanks,I have long lined from my yak with good results,but I cut a pretty wide swath because I paddle,and need my rods extended wide enough to accommodate both.I really expect I will need to incorporate a drag chain or drift sock,more than I will need to paddle.Seems even on calm days,a stiff wind blows across the lakes I fish.Spider rigging may actually allow me to cut a smaller swath.

Post Thanks / Like

I just came across this looking for some more info my self. I find the yak to be a good platform to spider rig even a couple of poles. Its easier to be quiet than in a boat, and i don't have to spend gas money. But, if the wind is blowing it can create problems. I up my weight size to 1 oz typically when the wind starts blowing hard, helps to keep my lines straight down. Last year was my first year spider rigging from the yak, i probably caught about two dozen or more crappie using that method. Looking forward to catching a lot more this year.