Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Color Selector

Post Thanks / Like

Default Color Selector

I picked up an old round Color Celector at a bait shop, it works but it didn't have a manual , I did a search on Google but no luck

anyone got the manual for this old girl ?

I'd be wiling to buy it

as always thank you all

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Its not hard to use....The sensor that you lower in the water has ft. marked on the cable so you can take your reading at any depth you chose....then the dial has three readouts one for clear water, one for stained and one for muddy....just use the one for your situation. Then read the color.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Man, that takes me back. I had one until a house fire in 1994 took care of everything in our basement. I never replaced it. I saw times it worked like a charm and others it was at best questionable. I do know it was responsible for me buying several colors of jig bodies that I would have never used prior. Some I tossed in the garbage over the years but several I still use religiously.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.landbigfish.com/tacklesto...s/SPKColor.pdf
    Name:  colo-c-lector.jpg
Views: 4713
Size:  107.5 KB

I was lucky and found one on E-Bay for $20 last year (2014). I am skeptical of the unit as it only detects the light. There are many other factors involved when locating crappie and what color they want to bite. I seldom use mine unless I get on a new lake or the weather is bad and the fish are just not biting.
    Keep an eye out for deals if you want one.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

I think they are making a newer version now , Mrdux lets talk about your religion or at least your favorite colors clear , murky, muddy ? Just playing keep your favs a secret
    Crappie Attitude
    US NAVY Veteran
    Find Them Grind Them
    Likes DockShootinJack LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Had a Color-C-lector back in the 1970's ... sold it. Bought a Combo-C-lector (color/temp/pH) and still have it, somewhere in the deep dark recesses of my "fishing closet". Mostly used it for a temp gauge (at depths beyond surface), since it, like the Color-C-lector, kept telling me to use blue/chartreuse 99% of the time ... and I already KNEW THAT

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys

I just gabbed it up when I saw it, I thought it would be cool to have, not so much to use it just to have this piece of fishing equipment for my collection. lol and a complete unit paperwork and all would be cool.

again thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like

We had one for years on our charter boat in Lake Michigan. First one we had (if I remember correctly) was round and had a round dial on it. Colors where on the outside and it put a pinpoint next to the color of the day. Problem was, this was long before a ton of scientific information about how fish see color at depth. That and it didn't have a cord long enough to go deeper than about 20 feet. Great for steelhead, lousy for salmon and other deeper fish.

I could see it useful fishing in water less than 20 feet, but it was a worthless product on the big lakes. I can't remember one time when it put fish in the box for us or the customers. But it was always funny to throw it down, put the color on that it said, and then fish all day with it and never catch anything while a bait on the oposite end of the color spectrum slammed the fish!
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Post Thanks / Like

Was Loren hill a charlatan?
    Crappie bite twice a day. 15 minutes before I get there and 10 minutes after I leave.
    The two loudest sounds are a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and one that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.
    If you rob Peter to pay Paul, you can generally count on Paul's vote.
    Likes Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, the color-c-selector was designed around bass and their eyesight. Same family as gills and crappie though. Wouldn't work as well with walleye, cats, etc. It actually gives you two colors to use on the same lure, because contrast matters as we all know. I still use it on a new lake and as the year changes. Mostly, I know what it's going to say. But I remember one year in particular when it gave me a reading I didn't expect on a lake I really knew well. I used that color combo--and won several crappie tournaments that year. The next year, readings went back to what they'd always been for that lake and the color combo didn't work nearly as well. Still can't explain what happened, water looked the same to me. Something to do with the light that year? Who knows.