Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Finding Winter Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Finding Winter Crappie

I fish a 6-700 acre lake it has no bottom structure and one little cove, it gets progressivly deeper from one end to the other 3ft to 30ft, no sharp drops or shelves either. Most experts always referance creek channels deep cover and structure, but on a lake similar to a swimming pool where does a guy look for Cold weather Crappie? there is plenty of blow downs and sunken brush along the banks but they are in shallow water 3-8fow.

Post Thanks / Like

On sunny days fish those structures 3-8 foot depths. If the water is clear that stay back a ways and cast up to them. On cloudy days I would troll 6-8 foot deep on the points in about 10-12 foot of water.
    Lets go soak a line. Pat

Post Thanks / Like

Check to see if it is legal to drop fishing habitat in your Lake. If it is legal you can make some good " honey holes". Just check out some of the crappie habitat ideas here on this forumCrappie Cover, Lake Structure and Pond Mgmt

Just put some at different depths and you can fish year round and know where they are. Not only will you benefit from it the fish will also. "Just make sure it is legal"

Post Thanks / Like

If you have Google Earth, you can take a look at the map of the lake and see if there are any old river channels or creeks that run through the lake. Google maps usually shows the old channels by a line on the map. Check your settings to make sure you are viewing all the rivers.
    Also Google maps may have older pictures of the lake you can look at. Go to the top and click on the clock icon and then adjust the slider bar to the date of the different pictures. You can then maybe see some structure or low areas where fish MAY hang out. Your map card on your sonar should have all the latest updates for the depths of the lake so study that completely and check out areas where you may have missed near drop offs, or beds of rock or shells. Fish will hang around hard ground sometimes as well. See if the bottom looks lighter than on your sonar. If lighter than the surrounding area then the bottom is hard. You can usually find crappie hanging above old roads or hard structure.
    Once you find something, take your phone with you and use the GPS in your phone and Google Earth to track and get you to the points you found on the map.
    Good luck!
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I would long line from shallow to deepest . slowing down as it got deeper .

Post Thanks / Like

I Have a reservoir that is the same situation. Sometimes the crappie are just randomly scattered. On the south end of my reservoir it goes from shallower water to deeper water the QUICKEST, and thats where I find my fish 85% of the time. I always start there because if they are not there then I know they are randomly scattered and then I go look for them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kickingback View Post
    If you have Google Earth, you can take a look at the map of the lake and see if there are any old river channels or creeks that run through the lake. Google maps usually shows the old channels by a line on the map. Check your settings to make sure you are viewing all the rivers.
    Also Google maps may have older pictures of the lake you can look at. Go to the top and click on the clock icon and then adjust the slider bar to the date of the different pictures. You can then maybe see some structure or low areas where fish MAY hang out. Your map card on your sonar should have all the latest updates for the depths of the lake so study that completely and check out areas where you may have missed near drop offs, or beds of rock or shells. Fish will hang around hard ground sometimes as well. See if the bottom looks lighter than on your sonar. If lighter than the surrounding area then the bottom is hard. You can usually find crappie hanging above old roads or hard structure.
    Once you find something, take your phone with you and use the GPS in your phone and Google Earth to track and get you to the points you found on the map.
    Good luck!
    Great ideas, I am familier with Google maps and Bing maps, before I became a boat owner I used both to find smallmouth waters in creeks and streams, although I didnt know about the river only feature, either way they are both good tools for scouting.
    I have a state topo map of the lake that shows the original creek bed, but the area is surrounded by farm land and has accumulated so much silt over the years it has become undetectable, they do run a dredge there every year which will help in the long run.
    I bought a Moto Guide Xi5 last Month and took it out today to set it up, and in Spring I will be buying a HDS Lowrance, so this will allow Me to mark prefered waypoints. I always have look for any structure at all and steeper drop offs, so far I know of one stump and I fish this lake quite a bit, and besides the rip rap at the dam it is a silt bottom.
    I've found that the best way to locate fish is to spider rig, unless they are spawning, but so far sider rigging has been the most promising method, but then again We currently have a 2 pole limit so bringing a partner always helps the odds. Its just that I read as much as I can to learn and most info just dosent apply to this lake!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LowePro View Post
    I Have a reservoir that is the same situation. Sometimes the crappie are just randomly scattered. On the south end of my reservoir it goes from shallower water to deeper water the QUICKEST, and thats where I find my fish 85% of the time. I always start there because if they are not there then I know they are randomly scattered and then I go look for them.
    I think You are right, I know of 2 steeper drop offs, and they are gradual drops too, but Ive found in Summer they are good spots, as I mentioned above I started Spider rigging this year and found it to be the most effective way to find them, although the ratio of throw backs to keepers isnt very good, but it keeps You busy and the bait store in business!