Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many lbs???

Post Thanks / Like

Default How many lbs???

I know several of you out there have your own minnow tanks and I am at the point that I am adding one due to trouble getting minnows when I want them. I am starting with a 30 gallon blue barrel and wanted to know what you feel will be the max number of minnows (lbs) that I can safely keep in there for an extended period of time. I know conditions and other factors will play a part but just in terms of the number of lbs it will sufficiently hold, what are your suggestions? Thanks,

jigflinger is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Google up Anderson Minnow Farm. They have a chart that says what you want to know. They have in listed for different water temps.
    Likes canebreaker LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jigflinger View Post
    Google up Anderson Minnow Farm. They have a chart that says what you want to know. They have in listed for different water temps.

Thanks jigflinger I for one was glad to see you post the name of the minnor farm. I have an old stock water tank that I have been planning to use for a minnow tank and had also been curious about the number it would hold.
    FISH ON

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jigflinger View Post
    Thanks....I will check that out.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got off the phone with a fish farm about 25 miles from me and I can get Tuffy's for $4 per lb!! Sure beats paying $1.50-2 a dozen or driving out there only to find them closed!!
    Likes Hotpepper LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Tuffy's? Never seen them listed a that. Got a link to that farm? $4 per pound may be little ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by canebreaker View Post
    Tuffy's? Never seen them listed a that. Got a link to that farm? $4 per pound may be little ones.
    The farm I called does not have a website. Its $4 per lb regardless of the size.....just less fish per lb if you get the medium as opposed to the small. I did find this site (Harry Saul Minnow Farm - forage fish minnows, grow trophy bass, fathead minnows) that list "black tuffies" and under it says its the same as fathead? I said fathead when I called and he said "do you mean tuffies"? So I guess it just depends on who you are talking to!!

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, the tuffies were the only bait I could find around Nashville at regular price. Golden shiners were $4 more for 5 dozen. I couldn't find a crappie with a tuffy on 3 lakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Tuffies is another name for fatheads. I use rosie reds for crappie. Rosies are a orange color phase of a fathead and because of its bright color it sticks out like a sore thumb in the water.
    Likes BigRiverMarine LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Well, got 2 lbs of fatheads added to the tank and thinking that may be a bit much for the 30 gallon tank....time will tell on how long they keep but that thing sure looks full!!! My next question is what do you all use to condition the water and is there anything out there that doesn't make the minners so dang slick!!??? I used the yellow bottle stuff from Wally World. Went fishing yesterday and couldn't hardly hold on to them because they were so slick. I know the bait shops must use something different because they don't seem to be that way. Any advise on what you use or if you have run into that problem before? Thanks,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast