Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Tank size

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tank size

I know several of you out there have your own minnow tanks and I am at the point that I am adding one due to trouble getting minnows when I want them. I am starting with a 30 gallon blue barrel and wanted to know what you feel will be the max number of minnows (lbs) that I can safely keep in there for an extended period of time. I know conditions and other factors will play a part but just in terms of the number of lbs it will sufficiently hold, what are your suggestions? Thanks,

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say start with a pound and work from there. I started out by keeping a pound or so in a 30 gal plastic tote. One filter and one air pump. Change water once a week in cool weather. Couple times a week as it gettis over 70.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

stormcloud is online now Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Number of minnows per lb =s small (#4) 250, medium (#6) 166 and large (#8) 125 per lb. Will maybe help on the number you need on hand.
    Tell'em I'll be there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cray View Post
    I would say start with a pound and work from there. I started out by keeping a pound or so in a 30 gal plastic tote. One filter and one air pump. Change water once a week in cool weather. Couple times a week as it gettis over 70.
    Thanks....that is exactly what I bought to put on it. I think one lb at a time will be fine for me anyway. We do have a bait shop about 5 miles from my house but its in the opposite direction from where I fish and you can't always count on them to be open. After about 3 trips out there and seeing the closed sign on the door it made me want to just start keeping my own. I am curious as to how you changed out the water each time.....this will likely be in my mother in laws basement so haven't thought about that yet.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I just changed half at a time. I used a cut off 2 quart jug with handle and just dipped it out into 5 gal bucket. At very least get some of the water treatment from Walmart that takes care of chlorine and give it a squirt after changing. The reason I started mine originally was I got tired of throwing away minnows at the end of a trip. I would save them and if I needed more would take a second bucket. Then had the opportunity to get some by the pound so set up my big tank. Tank is in shop by boat so I go down hook up everything put minnows in buckets and I'm down the road. No more stopping and finding them closed or covered up. Sure is nice. If your going to keep some for a extended period suggest getting a small bottle of the Better Bait to add to the water. Caution if you do it makes them so slick you can't hardly hold on to them
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cray View Post
    I just changed half at a time. I used a cut off 2 quart jug with handle and just dipped it out into 5 gal bucket. At very least get some of the water treatment from Walmart that takes care of chlorine and give it a squirt after changing. The reason I started mine originally was I got tired of throwing away minnows at the end of a trip. I would save them and if I needed more would take a second bucket. Then had the opportunity to get some by the pound so set up my big tank. Tank is in shop by boat so I go down hook up everything put minnows in buckets and I'm down the road. No more stopping and finding them closed or covered up. Sure is nice. If your going to keep some for a extended period suggest getting a small bottle of the Better Bait to add to the water. Caution if you do it makes them so slick you can't hardly hold on to them
    Thanks again Cray!! I have definitely gotten some that were super slick....seems like the rosey reds at the local bait shop here are always that way. I would love to continue supporting my local bait shop but it seems they are closed more often than they are open these days. We don't have any major lakes close by so I understand they can't be open at all times. I am hoping this will work out for what I need. I sure hope so, because with the start up costs I could have bought about 25 dz minners!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I've kept 3 to 4 lbs in mine for 6 weeks. Using them every day and replacing them when I need to.
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/live-...239-bait-tank/