Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Painting an aluminum boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Painting an aluminum boat

I want to apply a paint job on my 12 year old G3. It has the tan color paint and I want to do a facelift. Going white.
    I have a zinc chromate primer for the bare spots.

What has anyone used for this type of paint job? I want to apply with a foam roller and foam brush where needed.
    I am knowledgable on the prep, I just want to hear any experiences with the finish coat.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

If it is a smooth coat, I recommend primering the entire boat to ensure proper adheasion. Prior to painting, I would do one of two things. Scuff the entire finish to ensure the primer sticks, or sand the entire paint off. I've done it both ways and both work just fine. If you are going with a white paint, I would recommend a base primer that is similar in color or lighter in color. Darker primer will blead through or make your finish appear darker.

Scuffing can be done with an orbital automotiv sander and scuff pad or even a wood working sander. Or, you could have someone blast shoot it. Sand blasting is usually too course and will pit the aluminum. I have a guy that blasts aluminum utilizing dry ice. It is pretty cool.

I've painted them with krylon rattle can paint as well as automotive air painters. I've put clear coat finishes on them and also left them bare rough paint. If you do clear coat, do a couple of them and then polish it with an automotive polisher.

Several ways to do it, those are just a couple.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I know a boat builder that uses mild acid to etch the boat to get primer to stick.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Never painted a aluminum boat but if it were me I would find some 2 part epoxy aircraft paint. Toughest paint I ever worked with.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

google it and look at tinboats.net lots of info there.

stormcloud is online now Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I sandblasted and repainted the bottom of one once and it slowed it down a good bit. The paint stayed on really good but I pretty well ruined the boat.
    Tell'em I'll be there.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=NIMROD;2885661]I know a boat builder that uses mild acid to etch the boat to get primer to stick.[/QUOTE

Acid and Zinc Chromate it aint coming off.

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking about painting my boat too I think ill just wait now

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Acid in the primer or acid treating the metal, not hard, or you'll be doing it again. I did two without and both peeled, but they were cheesy in the first place and I wasn't spending any real money. A friend saw mine and went to a pro painter and asked and was told of the acid. It cleans and puts a mild etching on the metal and gives a great grip on the new paint. His came out real nice, waaaay better than mine. If you don't know find a pro and have him answer your questions. I hate doing things twice.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes Eagle 1 LIKED above post

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You can use distilled vinegar as an etching agent. It works. I use it, 200 grit sand paper and zinc chromate primer. I am old school. Sand, etch, wash, prime, then paint.

It is easier on me to pay for the work. My pondtoon was vinegar etched.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes Gobob LIKED above post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast