Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kentucky\ Barkley lake

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kentucky\ Barkley lake

Got few guy here at work wanting to head down to Kentucky or BARKLEY lake, when would be a good time to go? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Oscar
    We go down mid April every year and do fairly well. Like anything or anywhere else, lake conditions & temps can vary from year to year.
    Personally I wouldn't be afraid to go down anywhere from the last week in March to about the end of April but you may have to be flexible earlier & later. We always fish the northern part of the lake.
    Here's Brian with a few from last year.

Likes Osker, chaunc, kyjohn LIKED above post

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with John. Second week of april is usually the logical choice to be there. I go in late march and stay a whole month so i'm going to hit them at some point. I'm retired so I can stay an extra week or so if I want. If you're gonna fish the north end by Johnathon creek and looking for a place to stay, I have friends down lake that own Ky lake cottages and they can accommodate groups of 6 in one cottage. It's only 7 minutes down the road from Johnathon Creek. Well worth checking them out. Good prices and great family. PM me for their number or just google them.

Post Thanks / Like

Ken
    Our group is going to be down on the 13th until the 18th this year. My MIL turns 100 years old on the 15th so I won't be able to get there until the 16th but I'm staying until 21st or 22nd or 23rd depending on weather. I haven't fish Ky Lake this late into April for a few years but crappie are crappie and they have to be somewhere. I'm hoping being there a little later we may find a red ear or 2.

Oscar
    If your friends need any more info I'd be glad to help if I can. Being it's April and the fish are reacting to the current weather & water conditions it's hard to be real specific but I'll help where I can. PM me if they need something. Ky Lake is a wonderful lake IMO but I will say it's not always an easy lake. We could actually catch alot more fish around here but it won't come close for size, that lake has some monsters. It seems someone always gets one or 2 in the 16" range down there.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I've been talking to some guy on a few sites so we'll see.

Post Thanks / Like

100 years old, WoW! Tell her I said congrats. My neighbor lady turns 93 on Feb 14th. Good Luck at KY lake this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AEFISHING View Post
    100 years old, WoW! Tell her I said congrats. My neighbor lady turns 93 on Feb 14th. Good Luck at KY lake this year.
    Yeah it is amazing and if you were to talk to her you would never know it. I think she's still cooking dinner about 1/2 the time.

Post Thanks / Like

I will be down there april 15th thru 19th staying at big bear resort. Cant wait. Just hoping for good weather and tight lines!
    Likes Osker LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Crappiemax, got trip booked at ky. Lake cottages April 15th - 18th so probably see you their, maybe you can show us a thing or two.

Post Thanks / Like

Oskar
    Our trip got turned around a little. My MIL turns 100 years old on the 15th and we're having a party on that day so I'm not going to be there until later in the day on the 16th. EFslabs and his dad plus a couple of other guys I know will still be showing up on the 13th. I plan on staying into the following week so I should get some intel before I get there.
    It's been a few years since I fished that section but I have caught some pigs in the mouth of that bay in early march. That's a good section of the lake of course I fished from the Tenn line almost to the dam and caught fish all over. I'm not sure there is a bad part of the lake.
    As time approaches I'll get in touch and spill the beans on our approach. Is it the best approach...I don't know but we seem to manage a few here and there. As I've often said Ky Lake isn't necessarily about the numbers (sometimes it is) it's all about the size.

Lipripper
    I'll be across the lake at Hillman Ferry. Like you, I can't wait to get back down there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast