PDA

View Full Version : Crappie Already with Eggs

Shad
01-22-2015, 06:53 AM
Why is it that crappie have eggs in them during winter months. A lot of the crappie I have got in the last 4 weeks have had eggs in them. The water is around 42 -48 degrees. It is a long time until 60 degree water hits. Just curious.

DockShootinJack
01-22-2015, 07:34 AM
I have caught them in fall with eggs. Crappie will on occasion spawn in fall.

filletfetish
01-22-2015, 08:07 AM
I will start to see eggs in fish in Indiana by August. Most people don't even recognize them, due to the fact that the egg sack is smaller than a pea at this time. I've never done a thorough autopsy in July, but you may find them earlier than that. I thinks it's pretty interesting that it seems like the eggs mature, similar to the fish itself. Maybe that's why fishing can be so good in the fall and winter...she's only feeding for 50,000 or so. :)

Dollfly
01-22-2015, 08:31 AM
I never knew crappie spawned in the fall. Never too old t o learn something new!! The ones I been catching have light yellow eggs and seems to be plenty of them. Maybe we will have a good spawn this year.

genec
01-22-2015, 09:18 AM
the egg sack start in late summer and spawn in spring in our area,only one spawn and its after winter as water warms up,don't think they spawn twice any where in country

ChrisCarter
01-22-2015, 09:58 AM
yea I heard that female crappies won't spawn all at once in spring, they can sometimes hold off their spawn until fall if conditions were not right in spring for whatever the many reasons they have. And of course if they don't spawn in fall, and still have eggs, they absorb them as winter protein.

INTIMIDATOR
01-22-2015, 10:12 AM
Florida DNR conclude a study that Crappie DO spawn in the fall....it has been noted in other States also.
The main reason given the most credence, is above normal Fall Rain and bad Spring weather, but not ALOT of money is being spent to study Crappie behavior.

The reason they believe Crappie will Spawn in the Fall, is if the Normal Spring Spawn is interrupted....Here in Ohio, last year we had a brutal Spring, the weather was VERY late warming up, then we kept having Cold Fronts that kept the Water temps low, then we hit Hot Summer weather, that put temps past the Preferred Spawning Temps, in just a week!
They believe rising water levels in Fall, will trigger fish that have not spawned out, from earlier in the year.

Genec is correct, NORMALLY after a successful spawn, eggs sacks will again form in late summer, and eggs will be carried until they are ready at Spring Spawns.
If eggs are not layed, and conditions do not improve, most Crappie Female will absorb the old eggs and use the Protein to start the cycle off again. Researchers just don't fully understand why some absorb and some will hold and spawn later.

Even though Crappie are HUGE spawners, they are also one of the most delicate....things really have to come together to have a successful spawn...Crappie spawn year after year in the same area/cove/bay/shoreline, if that area changes, it will effect spawns, water temps have to be perfect, water flow or current has to be perfect, low water robs fish of preferred cover, high water release from the lake effects spawns by removing fry in the release, high STABLE water is actually preferred to add nutrients and boost zooplankton for larval Crappie...and then if it is a good Spawn, maybe 1% will survive to legal size (high end is figured to be 3%). Then you also figure that Crappie have one of the highest HOOKING and HANDLING MORTALITY rates if released, and you can understand why they can require management to have a continual Crappie Fishery!

feelay
01-22-2015, 11:29 AM

scrat
01-22-2015, 12:23 PM
Does the winter draw down have bad effects on crappie spawn? The water is usually raised again right around the spawn time. Usually the last of rainy season here in central Mississippi. No one really likes the winter draw down but our reservoir is a flood control lake.

INTIMIDATOR
01-22-2015, 01:18 PM
Does the winter draw down have bad effects on crappie spawn? The water is usually raised again right around the spawn time. Usually the last of rainy season here in central Mississippi. No one really likes the winter draw down but our reservoir is a flood control lake.

The slow Winter draw-down really doesn't have an effect on the Spawns at flood control lakes, but a massive draw-down can flush ALOT of fish! Our Dam has top gates and Massive lower gates....if the coe regulates properly with the top gates, you don't lose fish...when they goof up and have to use the bottom for faster drains, you lose ALOT.
As long as the water is at full pool by the time the males are heading to the beds, you should be alright....if they wait too long to get to Summer Pool, then yes, it will have a big effect.

This is my beef with Our Army COE....they continue to operate from obsolete orders that have been proven to be outdated and effect WB, Walleye, and other fish getting up into our creeks to Spawn...they also have made bad judgement decisions on raising and lowering the lake effecting our shoreline spawners also.
Our COE works off of dates...no matter what, they will not bring the lake up until a certain date...whether it effects the fish, birds, etc. They have plenty of time to bring the lake up and adjust if necessary...we have never come close to flooding or Overflowing the dam or lake, in my lifetime, and we have had some seriously bad late Winter and Springs. IMHO, The COE, DNR, etc should work together to develope new "Orders" that benefit the entire ecosystem and the nearby cities!

Our Reservoir also had 2 major projects after it was built and established in '74, one to put in a Marina, and another to put in a Larger new/modern boat ramp....both projects required massive drawdowns in the lake and it pumped out all kinds of fish, killed all of the underwater vegetation, and set the lake back for many years! We have just now established a sustainable fishery again, with the addition of cover, vegetation, ect....but the COE lowering the lake too quickly in Fall and raising too slowly in Spring, is having dire consequences with some of our fish populations and trying to stabilize them. THE BEST SPAWN we ever had was a few years back, we had massive Spring rains that melted heavy snow, then it continued to rain steady until summer, the COE could not release the water downstream...many low lying areas of the park were flooded....we had record spawns of Crappie, Bass, Gills, etc, and then they SLOWLY released the extra water from the top gates...we're still seeing part of that population today.

Good Fishing!

fe1
01-22-2015, 01:50 PM
At our lake you catch crappie at any given time with eggs.

CrappiePappy
01-22-2015, 05:01 PM
Crappie take several months to develop eggs, starting in late Summer ... but, when & how fast they develop depends a lot on their geographical location (& the subsequent prevailing conditions of the waters in that location).

Unless the water temps do not change drastically throughout the year, I doubt a Fall spawn would survive ... if in fact they do "actually" spawn in the Fall. The fry & their food source can't survive very low water temps.

Many people "thought" that Crappie were spawning in the Fall ... simply because they were finding egg sacs in them. But, even if the eggs were developed enough to lay in the Fall ... the milt production of the males may not be, which would lead to a "false spawn" or (at best) an "attempted" one. If the males don't make beds & wait on the females to come, there would be little chance of a viable spawn.

... cp :kewl

scrat
01-22-2015, 05:15 PM
Female Black crappies produce an average of 40,000 spherical (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical) eggs, the number depending on their age and size. After spawning, the male watches over the nest until eggs hatch, which is usually about 23 days. Newly hatched fish larvae are about 2.32 mm long and appear translucent. They stay in the nest for several days before moving to shallow, sheltered waters And White crappie spawn (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spawn_(biology)) in May and June. Spawning occurs when the water temperature reaches 56 degrees Fahrenheit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahrenheit). Males construct nests by creating small bowl shaped depressions on the bottom around brush, rocks, and logs in shallow water. Females lay 5,000 to 30,000 eggs.The males guard these nests until the fry swim away. If this information is true I don't see why there are not plenty of fish in our lakes. I know that other fish eat the fry while they are young but if for just 1 year there was a good hatch. Well I learn a long time ago that a person can only believe a small portion of what he hears and reads and only half of what he see's,but it doesn't hurt to dream.

P.S. this came from (From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Fish on Line
01-22-2015, 09:52 PM
Comorants --- Eat over one pound of Fish each day. They eat lots of Shad, But we catch lots of Crappie with severe injuries from these Protected birds. Many fish die that did get away. If you have 1000 of them , How many Gamefish have these water Buzzards kept from growing up to become Keepers

Crappitier
01-23-2015, 01:10 AM
Even though Crappie are HUGE spawners, they are also one of the most delicate....things really have to come together to have a successful spawn...Crappie spawn year after year in the same area/cove/bay/shoreline,

Up here in PA, they seem to spawn in the same spots every year. And Crappie grow very fast?

The FC stocks 10K to 30K Crappie Fry every year in the "clean" lakes. Good, healthy populations in all the lakes in Central PA?

A Fish Biologist told me that Crappie sometimes spawn 2 times a year (just like the invading White Perch do)

Tight Lines,

INTIMIDATOR
01-23-2015, 07:36 AM
Crappie take several months to develop eggs, starting in late Summer ... but, when & how fast they develop depends a lot on their geographical location (& the subsequent prevailing conditions of the waters in that location).

Unless the water temps do not change drastically throughout the year, I doubt a Fall spawn would survive ... if in fact they do "actually" spawn in the Fall. The fry & their food source can't survive very low water temps.

Many people "thought" that Crappie were spawning in the Fall ... simply because they were finding egg sacs in them. But, even if the eggs were developed enough to lay in the Fall ... the milt production of the males may not be, which would lead to a "false spawn" or (at best) an "attempted" one. If the males don't make beds & wait on the females to come, there would be little chance of a viable spawn.

... cp :kewl

Pappy
Crappie are in Every part of our Country...the one common factor is that unless they are hybribs, they follow the exact same temperature patterns whether they are in the N, S, E, Or W....except for one....spawns!
It is proven that Crappie spawn in the Fall, also the zooplankton and microscopic food that Larval Crappie and Fry live on in the Spring are the Same zooplankton and microscopic food, that mature Crappie live on under the ice in Winter here in the North. The reason why Crappie grow faster in the South but live longer in the North is due to Prime water temp conditions which allow them to eat larger meals throughout the year in the South.
If conditions are dry in the South and Spawns are interupted by fronts, etc, Crappie will Hold their eggs until Fall, they can do this because somehow their bodies know that they can still eat enough to trigger the hormones to start egg production again for the next Spring...in the North they tend to absorb them faster due to the lack of time they would have to gestate the next batch...but it does happen in the North also with cool summers that don't trigger the abortion.
We have late Shad spawns also and many times have found 2-3 inch Crappie in the ice and ONE inch shad....One of my Favorite sayin' is that "Nature will find a Way"!

BAMA S
01-23-2015, 07:40 AM
We had six fish with eggs yesterday when we cleaned them......

INTIMIDATOR
01-23-2015, 07:54 AM
Female Black crappies produce an average of 40,000 spherical (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical) eggs, the number depending on their age and size. After spawning, the male watches over the nest until eggs hatch, which is usually about 2–3 days. Newly hatched fish larvae are about 2.32 mm long and appear translucent. They stay in the nest for several days before moving to shallow, sheltered waters And White crappie spawn (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spawn_(biology)) in May and June. Spawning occurs when the water temperature reaches 56 degrees Fahrenheit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahrenheit). Males construct nests by creating small bowl shaped depressions on the bottom around brush, rocks, and logs in shallow water. Females lay 5,000 to 30,000 eggs.The males guard these nests until the fry swim away. If this information is true I don't see why there are not plenty of fish in our lakes. I know that other fish eat the fry while they are young but if for just 1 year there was a good hatch. Well I learn a long time ago that a person can only believe a small portion of what he hears and reads and only half of what he see's,but it doesn't hurt to dream.

P.S. this came from (From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

The info is true...they just do not go into all of the factors....in the Wild, researchers speculate that only 1% may reach LEGAL size...ideas vary but BEST CASE scenerio is that 3% spawn once.
First, all of those eggs are not always viable or get fertilized.
When the Males sit on the nests, invaders (craws, worms, fish) will get in to eat eggs.
Once the eggs hatch, invaders will eat fry (craws, bluegills, other fish, etc)
At 70 degrees the Male heads off and the fry are on there own....they are a nice soft, small, piece of sushi FOR ANYTHING.
EVEN at Adult size they are Prey for Musky, Walleye, Cats of all kinds, etc, etc!
Then you have Water birds, Eagles, otters, coons, etc.
Then polluted water, disease, dams, water fluctuations, algae blooms, etc.
And in some cases MAN is the largest killer of Crappie...besides eating...Many Adult Crappie are killed by using TOO SMALL OF TACKLE/HOOKS and POOR HANDLING when catching and releasing!

At our MARINA during the Spawn, we have seen Thousands upon Thousands of SMALL dead Crappie, from people using SMALL MICRO HOOKS AND LURES and gut hooking them...they rip the hooks out and pitch the small Crappie back in!

And then they wonder why we have such huge population swings! :(:(:(