Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Choupique

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Choupique

Has anyone ever eaten one? Blackfish, grinnel, grindle, bowfin, dogfish, mudfish, whatever you want to call them. My fishing buddy keeps threatening to take one home and eat it. They are an interesting fish as they date back to the prehistoric days. I found some recipies for their roe and some one in LA started marketing the roe under the name Choupiquet Royale.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    Has anyone ever eaten one? Blackfish, grinnel, grindle, bowfin, dogfish, mudfish, whatever you want to call them. My fishing buddy keeps threatening to take one home and eat it. They are an interesting fish as they date back to the prehistoric days. I found some recipies for their roe and some one in LA started marketing the roe under the name Choupiquet Royale.
    I have eaten the critter. Fried. But it has to be cooked fresh as the meat gets real soft if you freeze it and then thaw to cook.

There is a place here in New Iberia that markets the roe as a type of caviar. Very tasty and expensive.

I usually just cut the line!
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.

Post Thanks / Like

My dad used to make fish patties from Choupique, similar to Salmon croquets or Gar balls. I remember them being tasty, while hot from the skillet, but not as good warmed up later.---Pooch