Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spider Rigging/ Trolling ?'s

Post Thanks / Like

Question Spider Rigging/ Trolling ?'s

Hey yall, went to the lake last week and tried the spider rigging thing out, and was verry humbled. I have been told the most important thing is boat controll and positioning. Just have a few ?'s for ya.

My boat does not have foot controll for the TM is that a big deal?

If you had 3 choices where to fish, which one would you target the most?

Roadbed/ Creek Channel/ or Point

Then when you choose the location do you set out marker bouyes for the lanes your going to troll or use gps or what?

When your cruising around looking for shad, do you target the shad that is balled up really tightly and not marking fish just shad? or do you target shad that is more spread out not verry tight of a ball?

These were the dilmas I was facing the ohter day at the lake I fish which is 47000 ac lake with lots of timber.

I just want another CONFIDENT arsenal in my bag of tricks.

Thanks for any tips or advise

Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc
    Hey yall, went to the lake last week and tried the spider rigging thing out, and was verry humbled. I have been told the most important thing is boat controll and positioning. Just have a few ?'s for ya.

My boat does not have foot controll for the TM is that a big deal?

If you had 3 choices where to fish, which one would you target the most?

Roadbed/ Creek Channel/ or Point

Then when you choose the location do you set out marker bouyes for the lanes your going to troll or use gps or what?

When your cruising around looking for shad, do you target the shad that is balled up really tightly and not marking fish just shad? or do you target shad that is more spread out not verry tight of a ball?

These were the dilmas I was facing the ohter day at the lake I fish which is 47000 ac lake with lots of timber.

I just want another CONFIDENT arsenal in my bag of tricks.

Thanks for any tips or advise

Marc
    You can use a hand controled motor and do fine just bumping along. A foot controled motor makes it a lot easier. This frees your hands to deal with rods and tying on hooks or jigs but we use what we have so a hand controled motor is OK. If I had to choose, I would say creek channel. Especially this time of year. The others are good choices as well so don't look them over. If your targeting a certain depth on the creek channel then you can use marker bouys but you might show other anglers where to catch them if you find a good spot. I'd use the gps. As far as the shad, I would look for balls of shad with predator fish around them. These fish are in a feeding mood. Main thing is move slow and fish different depths and let the fish tell you what they want but you have to find them first. Hope this helps. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Mr. Crappieframer I have never tried spider fishing and would also like to as you some questions if you don’t mind. [1] Do you do this from the front of the boat? [2] Is there something that holds a certain amount of rods [5or6] for the front of the boat? [3] How do you rig the rods [swivels, leader, size of the weights and ect]? [4] How do you adjust the depth?
    Thanks a lot [love this board]

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a very good article written by Fishin Magician off the Louisiana board. I know there are others out there too but maybe this will answer some of your questions.

http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showth...=slow+trolling
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.lakelavonfishing.com/view...appie+trolling

Westcam don't know how to post pics here, but the site above is what I use, note have not been successfull YET, but I am going to keep plugging away at it.

As far as the rod-holders I just purchaced these for the front of the boat
    http://www.edswebshop.com/beeready.htm, just click on the internet specials and scroll down to the buckets. Have not used them yet, but I will in the next weak or two.

Then the next thing I am going to do when I go to the lake is put these out in some areas http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=12162. Scroll down to the ones with the center blocks, I think they will be the easiest.

One of my problems the other day was I did not consentrate on one area verry long. The next time I go out I am going to not bring any sandbass rods no jigging rods, nothing but trolling stuff. And from what I have heard is boat controll is the most important thing.

I use 10' rods, 4 in the front. The line I use is high vis 6lb mr crappie, with my leader being 10lb.

The advantage of a 10' rod, you know from the tip of the rod to the but is 10', then I get a marker and make another mark after I have the 10' out at 5' then another at 10' and so on.

Again I have not had a successfull trip yet so don't get discouraged, it just takes time. And if you are fortunate enough that their is a good skilled guide on you home lake that does this type of fishing hire him. It will save ya lots $ and time.

Hope that helps ya, this site is awsom I have LEARNED and saved a bunch of good material from here.

Marc
    Last edited by Marc; 12-21-2006 at 12:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks a lot guys for the quicke reply and good infomation
    this board is the best

Post Thanks / Like

Crappiefarmer thankyou sir for that info.

Also one more thing I learned on your line/egg singker ect, I put some together one night and did not follow it to the tee, and I had alot of tangles with my bait and swivill. Then next batch I made I followed it to a tee and had no problems.
    Last edited by Marc; 12-21-2006 at 12:18 PM.

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

i have foot controll troling motor on my crappie boat . i now have a pontoon to that i bought a few months ago . it has a hand controll on it . i added a bigfoot button to it and i like it better than the foot controll in a lot of wayes . if i need to stop i can take my foot off the bigfoot button and stop it .it had a latch to pull up with your foot and it will hold it . if i need to turn it i can push it around with my foot when my hand are buisey .
    retired and now i will always fish