Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Mr Jerry Blake

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mr Jerry Blake

Jerry thanks for all the help you give all of us. My question to you this morning is about sonar. I want a good sonar unit with no frills; no GPS included just good technology. Will you recommend one that will mark fish like you are talking about in some of the other threads? Does it take experience to know how to read fish? Are there any good books that teach me how to read and know what I am looking on sonar? I have had sonar units for years and don’t know any more about them now than when I first bought them.
    Thank again [love this board]

Post Thanks / Like

I'm real happy with my Matrix 12 but if I were to replace it right now it would be with a Humminbird 535. It's also uses a single beam, 20-degree transducer but has more pixels and should have a little better resolution.

Once you get your sensitivity set right you shouldn't have any trouble seeing fish.

But if you're sitting still or moving very slowly don't expect to see defined arches - they will show up as long lines that may move up and down the screen (if the fish is moving up and down in the water column) or they may be just a solid line (if the fish is staying at the same level and staying in the view of the trandsducer).

Once you can identify the sonar returns try using the Fish ID with just enough sensitivity to show a fish symbol and target depth on the obvious "fish" returns if it will. If you can't get it to show both the actual sonar returns and fish symbols then you probably want to run it with Fish ID off.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

thaniks jerry for the quick response and infomaton. i done a search on the net and the 535 looks like what i am looking for. all that i described in my post the 535 fits the bill and at an affordable price.

thanks again