Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: ?? How to install new depthfinder ??

Post Thanks / Like

Default ?? How to install new depthfinder ??

OK, I'm sorta Jonesing for one of the new Humminbird Helix 5 depthfinders. I have an old Lowrance LMS-337c and would like to upgrade.

BUT..

I just went out and looked at my boat. The current depthfinder was installed when I got my boat I have no clue how they did it........the cables are hidden up under the gunwales. And it's routed through spots that could only have been done with some special tools.

It'd be no problem to get the old one out IF I cut the cables at transducer and the three cables coming into the unit with large sized plugs. But then what? Can those cables be spliced back together? Surely the Lowrance is worth something, but not if all the cables are cut at both ends.

And then I have the same issue installing a new one......the danged transducers and head-end plugs are built-in, NOT removable. No way to get them through the tight spaces and small console hole. Worse case, I don't have to route the new cables through the conduit and hide it under gunwales, but I bet I regret it if I don't.

Surely, folks have bought and installed new depthfinders before!?!?!? How?

Any help to a pea brain would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Just take your time and think before you do. Tie a string or piece of wire to old cable before you pull out. and tie a string to new wire for next time. You will be be fine just go slow and think. I f they got it in there you can get it out.

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure on the type of boat or setup but I've rigged a ton of them in my days. Some boats have removable boxes where the steering cables and wires go through. Some of them have all aluminum boxes that will not come apart. I recomment the pull string method as mentioned above. When pulling the old wire out, make sure to pull a string through with it. The most invaluable tool I use is a fish tape. You can push this through your wire chase, tap your new wires to it, then pull it back through.

Yes, I've had to cut a wire or two in my days from an old transducer but that was after all options had been exhausted.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Post Thanks / Like

What the two above said... Bought a new (first) boat last June and had to install FF. Took a while to figure out what screws to remove to get behind controls, but after that, was able to pull wires and cables with no issues using methods above. Left some extra pull line (jetline) so I can pull later with ease. Once you figure it out, probably lot easier than you think. Mine was. Second (bow) FF was a breeze.

-danny
    - dan aka "Fishfried"

“Life is what you make it. Always has been. Always will be.” ― Grandma Moses