Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rod size?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod size?

So I'm looking into buying a few new setups for this year... My question is what size rod would be ideal?

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on what type of fishing you will be doing. Spider rigging? Casting jigs? Dock shooting? 6' through 7'6" rods in ultralight or light action will cast jigs, vertical jig, cast live bait, well. It comes down to what you like and what feels good to you. Allot of us have went to a little bigger spinning reels with the long shallow spools. They give less line memory and cast allot farther.

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer a rod with fast action ( doesn't bend as far down the rod blank. Slow actions will bend into a parabolic C . Bending all the way to the handle. Fast actions only bend the first 1/4 to 1/3 . The fast action has enough spring in the tip to cast well and still has the backbone to turn a bigger fish out of heavy cover. One last note. One companies light action may not have as much backbone as another companies ultralight rod. So it all comes down to what feels good to you.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking for some thing I can use from a boat or bank that will cast or drop well while fishing with jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Currently the rod I grab out of the locker the most is a 7' ultralight with an Abu Garcia SX10 reel. I cast 1/32 jigs , some live bait and I dock shoot with this rod. I have it spooled with Power pro Slick 8 braid. It all works out very well for me. I like the increased sensitivity of the braid . I can feel the slightest tick on the line.

Post Thanks / Like

You also didn't say what your budget will bear? You can spend some pretty bucks on fishing rods these days. Do yourself a favor and check out the line up that B n' M offers. I have two of their 7' SHSS rods and one 9' of the same model. Love those rods! I cast and drift a lot, as well as shorline fishing. These rods will do just nicely. And at around $50.00, they won't break the bank. I'm getting another 9' SHSS this February.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

No budget... Just looking at bass pros line of crappie poles! Not sure what size I would want! I've always had 7 foot or less but was looking at maybe getting a longer one!

Post Thanks / Like

7' Medium Light. Look at a Triumph rod made by St. Croix.
    We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."

Post Thanks / Like

just bought 2 crappie maxx signature series,7ft.like the feel and at 40 bucks won't break the bank.I use a Diawa spincast GC80with 6lb.mono,seems to work good for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a St Croix Premier 7' Med-Light with a Sedona 1000 spooled up with 6# Vanish fluorocarbon! Nice light rig that casts really well. Thinking of switching to a 4# hi-vis line since my eyes are having difficulty seeing the fluoro like they used to!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast