Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: what's lurking below

Post Thanks / Like

Default what's lurking below

I decided I would post a few pictures of an area I fish that I have a lot of success at. Some days they bite well and some days they do not. When they are not biting some people think the fish are not there, but usually they are there they are just gorged full of food and not feeding then. My fish finder will sometimes only have a few spots on it until it gets close to daylight, and then it seems sometimes like out of nowhere it just goes full from top to bottom. Sometimes it will be from 5 feet to 20 solid thick, and then at times it will be from the surface to the bottom. Most of this is bait, it is mixed with baitfish, shad, stripe, crappie, and probably a few other fish. In the top pic you can barely see where the bottom is and in the bottom pic you can no longer see bottom. I have caught a lot of nice crappie from this spot over the years.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Seeker ... you'd probably get better screenshots (clearer & more defined images) if you were moving a little faster. Your SI sonar beam is like my DI sonar beam ... when moving slow it stretches out the image because the beam is constantly hitting the same object over a longer period of time, so instead of showing a single small object ... it keeps reflecting the signal from that object and makes it look like it's bigger/longer than it really is, or draws a straight line.

This is how my E5DSI unit screen shows things when I'm not moving :

Name:  003.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  43.8 KB

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I have actually got the same image sitting still and moving up to 6 mph and it shows the same either way. They are so thick in there it covers the screen no matter what the speed or sitting still.

Post Thanks / Like

Does this spot have a bridge over it? Ha

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I get my best SI views going 3 to 4 mph
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Are they pulling water when this happens cause it could be just stirred up settlement. Our lake does the same thing when pulling lots of water.

Post Thanks / Like

crappiepappy is somewhat right. It looks like a whole lot more sitting still or real slow. However at 3 mph it looked almost as thick as in the picture. Looks the same water moving or not and as soon you you come up out of the creek channel off the drop, it goes back to a clear screen. jw you know exactly where this is.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought so. Never seen it on side scan.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  Screenshot_2015-01-19-21-40-45.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  67.8 KB
    Idk if this is exactly what your talking about but I got this in the channel of the lake I fish.