Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Nut Cuttin' Time!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Its Nut Cuttin' Time!!!

Guys,

I am going to finally buck up and buy a GPS. I have only decided on a color handheld unit that will accept Fishing Hot Spots maps, however that is about as far as I have gotten. Which unit would you guys recommend?

I have read some past threads, but still haven't really made up my mind.

For less than $300, what would you guys recommend. I like the bigger screens of the Lowrance and Magellan, but Garmin seems to have very few bad reviews about them.

Give me some input!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance,

Also, is there anywhere one can download ind. lake maps instead of bucking up the money to purchase an entire region. Of course I live in MO, and fish in TN, IL, MS, and MO. (Tn and IL are in the East, MO is in the South) and that's just too much $$$$ on maps.
    Last edited by SEMOmike; 12-19-2006 at 08:22 PM.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

As much as I like Lowrance products, don't get the H2O-C. Even the lady at Lowrance admitted hers is hard to see in bright sun light.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Have nothing to compare it to but I have the h2O from lowrance. Have more trouble with my depth finder and sunlight than I do the gps. Whatever you get will be handheld...not like its mounted to your dash.

good luck in your decision making.

drifter
    Sacred Heart of Mary, pray for us now, and at the hour of our death. AMEN
    For those who believe, no explanation is necessary....for those who don't, no explanation is possible
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

Post Thanks / Like

I have a pair of Garmin Rino 120's that are the bees knees. We use them for geocacheing mainly, http://www.geocaching.com/ , but they have proven handy (with the radios), while fishing different parts of the lake with our pontoon boats. These aren't the color screens, those cost alot more. I got the map program of the US really cheap on the internet. I'm sure you can find a deal on ebay, for the units and the map you want.
    Most of the VERY dedicated geocachers we know use the top o the line GARMINS, because of their mapping, storage, and accuracy in finding waypoints. I chose a little less of a GPS to get the radios, but they still rock! We hold our own finding caches with them. Hope this helps ya. Good Luck! GGJ
    Last edited by Glowgood Jigster; 12-20-2006 at 03:54 AM.
    I have a jig with a face like this!:eek:

Post Thanks / Like

I really like my Garmin but you are right about the larger screens. It sucks getting old. I wish mine had a 15 in screen
    Ohio State Board moderator
    www.easternbuckeyecrappieclub.com
    or [email protected]
    NAFC Life Member

Post Thanks / Like

Garmin 76 is what i use.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer

Post Thanks / Like

In my experience the Lowrance are a little more user friendly. Garmin makes good stuff, I just dont care for the little light bulbs, and quit and enter buttons. Just doesn't seem clear to what function is what.

Post Thanks / Like

Default gamin evista

I just got the garmin e vista, have not used it yet but it is hot spots compatible and i have read several excellent reviews on the net. I wont be using it unit after xmas
    Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

I like my Lowrance iFinder H2O C. Its simple to use and quick to acquire signals!
    Roy

Post Thanks / Like

As I've mentioned before I'm real happy with my Garming Map76 and you can get them on line with a data cable, power cable and marine mount for right at $200.

I've not had much experience with Lowrance hand-held units but a client brought his new H20 on the boat the other day and I discovered that on the map screen it would only scroll down to .02 miles, which is way to wide of an area to use your map screen to find your condos. The Map76 goes down to 20-feet and I usually use it on 30-feet.

With .02 miles on your map screen it will show you on top of your waypoint when you are still a long ways from it. I'm sure it would be more accurate if you did a "Go To" to the waypoint you want but I sure like keeping mine on the map screen so I can see all the waypoint around me that are within the area I have on my screen and still be able to move the boat right over each one.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast