Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie Fishing Techniques?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Fishing Techniques?

I understand that if I am correct Pushing/pulling cranks, long lining jigs, and even spider rigging (for the most part) they are open water techniques. So If I can't fish any of these techniques what are my options and what fishing equipment do I need?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieGodzilla View Post
    I understand that if I am correct Pushing/pulling cranks, long lining jigs, and even spider rigging (for the most part) they are open water techniques ...
    ... and they're all trolling techniques. Believe it or not, you don't have to troll to catch crappie. Casting jigs or vertical jigging work just fine. All you need is a light spinning outfit and a handful of jigs.
    Likes NIMROD LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Dock shooting also

Post Thanks / Like

Slip bobber, gold aberdeen hook and a sinker. Doesn't get much simpler than that!
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of your suggestions, looks as if I have allot to learn. Guess I have to find out more information about the lakes that I will be fishing the most. Thanks Ron

Post Thanks / Like

A really great resource is utube for seeing different techniques. You can usually find the "pros" on there showing what they are doing.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieGodzilla View Post
    I understand that if I am correct Pushing/pulling cranks, long lining jigs, and even spider rigging (for the most part) they are open water techniques. So If I can't fish any of these techniques what are my options and what fishing equipment do I need?
    CG ... here's a technique you might like to try -- Crappie Pappy Article and it doesn't require any specific equipment. Most any rod, from a 5' UL to a 10' jigging rod, will work. This is my go to technique for finishing off fishing (casting) around docks/dock posts, bridge pillars, standing timber, and deep brush piles. Sometimes it will add a few more fish to the catch, while other times it's the technique that produces the majority of the catch.

Casting jigs would be my first option, if I wasn't able to use any of those open water techniques you mentioned. A 6-7ft rod & spinning reel with 4-6lb line will put you in the game.

Second to that would likely be vertical jigging. A 8-12ft rod would work for that technique. And since you are putting the jig down to a certain depth & leaving it there, the reel isn't as big a factor as it is in casting.

Thirdly ... a simple hook/sinker/minnow rig, fished straight down over the side of the boat (commonly called "still fishing" or "tightline fishing") wouldn't require much in the way of specific equipment. You just wouldn't want your rods to be more than medium to medium light in action. Rod length & reel type is whatever is comfortable to you. Rod holders are nice, but not really necessary unless your boat layout is such that you cannot lay the rods nearly horizontal to the water. This style of fishing is usually done while boat is tied off to something, or anchored, so that the boat doesn't drift & need to be repositioned by trolling motor ... allowing you to concentrate on the rod tips & not boat positioning. The addition of a bobber or slip float is personal preference.

... cp
    Likes scrat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the great information that all of you have given me. It sure does help a lot when there are Fisherwoman/Fisherman that are willing to help people make the learning curve shorter. Looks like I will be doing some more asking questions and lurking on the site to glean more great information. I am quite sure most of my questions are here some place just have to find them. Thanks again to all that have helped with their inputs.

Post Thanks / Like

You might also want to consider drifting. When it's a bit too windy to effectively cast, drifting gets the job done. And it doesn't matter how close to the surface you believe the lure is tracking, because I've found that on breezy days, panfish will come up to take it.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    You might also want to consider drifting. When it's a bit too windy to effectively cast, drifting gets the job done. And it doesn't matter how close to the surface you believe the lure is tracking, because I've found that on breezy days, panfish will come up to take it.
    did not know this....wonder why???????????????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast