Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: discussion on catching crappie when they generate water?

Post Thanks / Like

Default discussion on catching crappie when they generate water?

I mostly fish on tva lakes along the Tennessee river. I have always had a hard time catching crappie on the lake when they are generating water. some bass guys love it when they pull water. they say they can catch more. what do you do? fish tight to structure? do they spread out and suspend...is it better to troll? seems like I have noticed the fish go to the bottom and hug the bottom and I can catch a few there when they are pulling really hard. lets start a discussion on what to do, where to fish, when they are generating water and what are the best techniques to use. thanks in advance and I hope everybody chimes in.

Post Thanks / Like

On Guntersville they bite pretty good when the water is falling. It pulls allot of the bait fish out of the back waters. Bridges and and any choke point has fish ambushing bait fish. The bite will usually stop when the water flow does.

Post Thanks / Like

Always bite better for me when pulling water! Bass and crappie

Post Thanks / Like

They seem to bite best on Weiss with 1 turbine running.
    Find me on Twitter & Instagram @rhinofishing

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Current is your friend on KY and Barkley Lakes when the water temps are above say 65 degrees. Below 65, it makes the fishing tough. I just base that on almost 50 years of fishing both lakes.

Lots of my friends are getting cabin fever and getting out on both lakes. TVA has been letting the lakes come up to a couple of feet above winter pool then pulling the plug. If they are pulling over 40,000 cubic feet per second at KY Dam, fishing in the winter and early spring is going to be much tougher than normal. Lately the discharge has been over 100,000.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes TowboatTroller, Fish on Line LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Mrdux I agree on the crappie for sure on pickwick. Now small mouth is another thing 100,000 is there kinda water seems like.
    War Eagle 1754RG Side pulling. Kansas bow hunter.
    Booners & Bands Lodge.
    All men die few ever really live.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with everything said. A little current I can catch them but when they are dropping the water, I struggle. So, what is the best approach to catching when they are dropping or pulling 50k or more? Why do you think it is harder to catch during the winter when they are generating as mrdux suggests. Thanks for all the replies guys.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grantstricklin1984 View Post
    Mrdux I agree on the crappie for sure on pickwick. Now small mouth is another thing 100,000 is there kinda water seems like.
    My post was strictly for crappie fishing and what I have noticed over the years about the effect current has on them.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrdux View Post
    My post was strictly for crappie fishing and what I have noticed over the years about the effect current has on them.
    Yes sir just noting that small mouth like the stronger currents. Sorry for confusion
    War Eagle 1754RG Side pulling. Kansas bow hunter.
    Booners & Bands Lodge.
    All men die few ever really live.

Etowah, Tn. foothills to the Smokey Mountains
    Post Thanks / Like

On Chickamauga most of the time current is a must. When it quits go home. Sometimes it's too much but run of thumb with current you will have your better days

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast