Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how to catch pre-spawn crappie ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default how to catch pre-spawn crappie ?

hey guys,
    i really want to learn how to catch them before they spawn.
    i have a good idea where they will be located.
    looking for what style works best, along with best lures to use this time of year.
    i fish inland lakes in SW Mich.
    i'm ready as soon as the ice is gone.

really appreciate any info.

thx, dave

stormcloud is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

You are not going to find many folks down here that know much about the extreme Northern lakes. I would post the question on the Michigan site or one of the more Northern sites.
    Tell'em I'll be there.

Post Thanks / Like

Hiya. I'm from over in the Michigan forum. We would be very happy to help you, plenty of time until the headwater turns soft to learn the spring secrets of crappie spawn. Crappie are temperature tuned to begin staging for the spawn as the water temperature warms up. Once the temperature reaches about 60 degrees Fahrenheit is when spawning takes place. Any time before that they can be considered prespawn, they move onto their spawning flats as the temperature gets closer, if a front moves in, the fish will retreat to deeper waters but may be in the same depth range. Males will be the first to move in and females will be further out, if you find the males at 4 feet deep the females are just as likely to be at the same depth but then where will the eggs come from for next years crappie? I think i covered the basics mostly. If you need more help be sure to visit us in the Michigan forum. Also we have a spring camp meet and greet coming up, good food, people, fishing and camping rolled into one fun weekend.
    Likes Dollfly LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

thx for the help.
    i sent you a PM 'Mich Man86'.

Post Thanks / Like

i like pitchin twisters and ttubes to them.

Post Thanks / Like

I would try deeper drop-offs in the mouths of bays. Fish should stack up on cover before moving shallow. As one group moves in, usually other crappie will take there place. It's even better if you can find cover (brush, etc.) on top and bottom of the drop. Temps and weather conditions will definitely be a factor.
    Likes silverside LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stormcloud View Post
    You are not going to find many folks down here that know much about the extreme Northern lakes. I would post the question on the Michigan site or one of the more Northern sites.
    I disagree. I've seen many posts from just about every section of the country represented here. Which is one reason why I love this site so much.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    I would try deeper drop-offs in the mouths of bays. Fish should stack up on cover before moving shallow. As one group moves in, usually other crappie will take there place. It's even better if you can find cover (brush, etc.) on top and bottom of the drop. Temps and weather conditions will definitely be a factor.
    thx for the info.
    i was wonder what type of lures is best to use for them at this time, and what style of fishing is best.
    like spyder rigs, pitching jigs, ect...
    i'm guessing things need to be a smaller and moved slower ?

thx,

Post Thanks / Like

A Crappie is a Crappie no matter where it is located they all have the same basics no matter where they are located. People have a tendacy to overthink things. You have been given some good advice here. I would add that trying to match your baits to the size of the predominate baitfish is a good start too but don't be locked into that, experiment with sizes if they are not biting your first or alternate choices. Color can vary by lake or region so experiment a little there. Techniques can vary on any given time frame, again experiment and keep in your mind what works on your lake or lakes of choice. Time on the water is the most valuable teacher. Good Luck and let us know how it goes for you.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by naturenut View Post
    thx for the info.
    i was wonder what type of lures is best to use for them at this time, and what style of fishing is best.
    like spyder rigs, pitching jigs, ect...
    i'm guessing things need to be a smaller and moved slower ?

thx,
    If you really catch them in the early pre-spawn movement from their deep water Winter haunts, on their way to the creeks/bays where they intend to spawn ... longline trolling of jigs is likely your best bet, since you'll be covering a lot of water and more likely to intercept them along their route of travel. That route is usually along the old creek channel, or across open flats with spots of cover scattered around.
    Once they get stationed near their spawning grounds, they'll feed heavily to put on weight and store the nutrients needed to finish egg/milt production and survive the rigors of the spawn. They may move in and out from the spawning bank, depending on water/weather conditions, but most any presentation will work ... as long as you find their depth & location.
    Once they actually get set up and start spawning, you'll usually find the males shallow & the females a little farther off shore (staging) ... but, you will occasionally catch both genders from the shallows, if you happen to be there when the females come cruising in looking for a mate. Again, any shallow water technique will usually work at those times.

I generally use the same size jigs throughout the year ... 1/32 or 1/16oz for casting/trolling methods, depending on depth & speed needed to present the lure to them.

... cp
    Likes Kingfish1 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast