Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Worm raising opinions needed!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Worm raising opinions needed!

I've decided to finally start a worm bin and am looking for everyone's opinion on which worm to raise.
    Red wigglers or European super reds?
    I'm raising them for Bluegill fishing and the European super reds are supposed to be bigger than the Red wigglers. But my question is: Does size really matter?
    Seriously though, any wisdom y'all can give me through your own trials and experience would be great!

Post Thanks / Like

My preference is the european night crawlers, They are not as prolific as some of the others, but not as sensitive to cold as africans but stand up to heat very well and do not require refrigeration in summer time. They can get larger than a redworm, not quite as big as a canadian NC but are easy to raise

Post Thanks / Like

Red wigglers for me, they have out fished the others for me. And if fed well they will get big also. Secret for me is to dust the top of the bed with corn meal. Then cover with news paper, then sprinkle the news paper down with water. This makes them feed better and put on weight like mad.
    Was reading up on worms a few years back. And this guy found worms that were growing faster then any he had ever seen. These were eating the dust off a Cotton Gin. This dust was floating down and covering the ground from the cotton seeds. Then this would get wet from dew. And the worms were feeding on top along with growing fat off this. If I feed mine every day or 2 with a cup of corn meal. There fat and big, but get lazy and will not reproduce as fast. But slow down and they reproduce like mad.
    Fishing for bream, crappie and catfish. Me using the fat
    Red wigglers while my uncle always used the big canadian NC or store bought big worms. I always out fished him or anyone in the boat fishing with the store bought worms. Not sure why but they would out fish the other worms. Days when he ran out and I was nice and let him or who ever was fishing with me, use these worms. They would start catching more fish also. But still buy there worms thinking they were better off using them.
    But my best ones were barn worms when I grew up. Lay down a piece of carpet 4ft x 6 or 8ft where I had dug the ground up. Then keep feed there and watered. Always could get all the bait I needed there and man did the fish love them. I have a small spot off my wifes flower bed. That I feed the canadian NC's that I would dump after a fishing trip. These help out her flower bed along with fish bait.
    Will stop rambling now.
    Pete
    Likes bird35 LIKED above post