Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G Loomis Rods

Post Thanks / Like

Default G Loomis Rods

Anyone ever used one of these high dollar rods?
    AMERICANS: Willing to cross a frozen river to kill you, in your sleep, on Christmas, totally not kidding, we've done it.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile g-loomis

Bought my first g-loomis 15 years ago. Use them for crappie, channels and flatheads. If I was to compare them to other brands...well, a good analogy would be like a chevy vs ford, dodge or nissan. Some people are in the chevy camp with others swear up and down with other makes. Good rod makers use material that produces a quality rod.

If my memory serves me right, g-loomis, at the time I initial purchased my first two, had a lifetime warranty. I used it once with no problems but haven't inquired lately as to how they cover their products. Major brand name with quality graphite will provide a person with hours of fun. Hard to beat the sensistivity of those rods.

Have used other rods that don't really stack up to a good graphite and its kinda like a duck out of water. For me, thats a major part of fishing. Right tackle, weather cooperating and good company. Priceless!!

and

of

course....

FIRE IN THE HOLE!!

regards,

drifter
    Sacred Heart of Mary, pray for us now, and at the hour of our death. AMEN
    For those who believe, no explanation is necessary....for those who don't, no explanation is possible
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

Post Thanks / Like

I use them for crappie and have used them for bass. Great rods and you can definitely feel the difference from other brands. They are expensive and come with a life time warranty.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Great rods -- very light and sensitive! I've got four of them, one of the SJR models and three lighter spinning rods.

Post Thanks / Like

A few years ago I was still big in bass fishing and bought a rod that I was looking for that had very particular set of numbers. I wanted a 7' rod with the ability to use a fairly light lure and still go to at least a 1 oz lure. The only one I could find then was a GLoomis and it was their high end rod. I had bought a lot of rods that were in the $100-$150 range, but never anything like this as it was $315. Well I got it and love it. My favorite heavy rod by far.

Now a couple of years ago I was having some trouble with my boat and the rails I use to put it in the water. To make this story short, I ended up sitting on that rod and broke it. It has a life time warranty that if you pay shipping of $50 they will replace your rod free. They sent me a rod and after that I sent them my broken one back. No questions ask! That rod then had become a $345 rod.

Also don't over look St. Croix rods. I bought a rod that I had intended using wile fishing wacky worm for bass and it has become my favorite crappie rod and it is AS70MLF Model and here is a link to it...
    http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults

Hope this helps.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I build rods for a living ... G Loomis, St Croix and Lamiglas. All of them produce blanks range from above average to exquisite. St Croix builds the best high end blanks - SCIV and SCV. Lamiglas is the least expensive of the lot but has very good quality control. G Loomis is the most expensive and the least advanced technologically, they haven't done much in the last 5 years to improve their product - they are owned by Shimano and taking the $$$ back home. All that said - G Loomis is my number one seller, marketing pays!

If you have particular questions, fire away and I will do my best to answer them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim
    I build rods for a living ... G Loomis, St Croix and Lamiglas. All of them produce blanks range from above average to exquisite. St Croix builds the best high end blanks - SCIV and SCV. Lamiglas is the least expensive of the lot but has very good quality control. G Loomis is the most expensive and the least advanced technologically, they haven't done much in the last 5 years to improve their product - they are owned by Shimano and taking the $$$ back home. All that said - G Loomis is my number one seller, marketing pays!

If you have particular questions, fire away and I will do my best to answer them.
    I remember when Shimano bought them and it was just before this I bought my GLoomis and I would guess that was about 5-7 years ago. I know I love it as well as the St Croix and if I were to buy another high end rod it would probably be a St. Croix.

It's good to know the info you provided about GLoomis and how they have remained stagnate.

Thanks,

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate all the feedback, very helpful, thanks. I like a medium length rod and usually fish from my small V-bottom boat.

"Sensitivity" is the key issue with me. We all know how funny these danged crappie can be and I want to feel those really light nibbles.

I've found a good selection of GLoomis rods on Ebay, any other suggestions on shopping for price?

Are the St. Croix rods the pick of the litter?

Thanks again, Jim
    AMERICANS: Willing to cross a frozen river to kill you, in your sleep, on Christmas, totally not kidding, we've done it.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I would HIGHLY recommend against eBay. As much as I love the site, there are "fake" G Loomis rods on the site (and other high end rods as well). Not to mention that even if it is legitimate, the warranty is not valid since you are not the original purchaser - licensed dealers are NOT allowed to sell product through eBay.

If you want to purchase a "factory built" rod I will help you with selection of a proper model and point you to a reputable vendor and a valid warranty - heck, I might even have a coupon you could use.

If you would like a "custom built" rod I will help you as well. I will mention that my G Loomis and St Croix rods are one penny LESS than the same model in a factory rod - yet with many upgrades and improvements.

I have a website you can go to and look around ... www.dudleyrods.com.

I don't have St Croix pricing posted, G Loomis is a larger share of the local market here in Tampa. I do stock a large number of blanks and can get anything else PDQ.

Here's a link to the G Loomis website ... http://www.gloomis.com

And another link to St Croix ... http://www.stcroixrods.com

Take care and have a crappie day!

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another option:

http://www.roguerods.com/

They're former Gloomis guys who went out on their own.

If you're after more sensitivity, you could always try some type of braided line. That's cheaper than a new rod!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast