Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pole or Rod

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pole or Rod

I often here people refer to the tackle they used as a pole. Well for some that is correct. A pole is cut usually from a tree. Example would be a cane pole. Rod is what is built. Example would be a spinning rod or fly rod. I am not a snob but many would agree when someone says they are getting there fly pole to go fish smiles start to show on anglers faces.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the English terminology:

rod - has a reel attached to it

pole - no reel attached
    Likes "G", Gobob, MorganT69 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by addictedangler View Post
    Rod is what is built.
    Some very fine and expensive poles are "built".

Post Thanks / Like

Yes there are very expensive RODS. I have a few split cane fly rods. Not sure about expensive pole? Not trying to be a smart AAA but if you go into a fly shop asking to buy a fly pole I am sure there will be a few funny looks and perhaps a unkind remark or two.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes there are very expensive RODS. I have a few split cane fly rods. Not sure about expensive pole?
    European take apart POLES typically cost several thousand dollars. This top-of-the-line Daiwa pole retails for 3,999 British pounds. (That's over $6,000 at the current exchange rate.)

Daiwa Tournament Pro X Pole

I'm happy with my "budget" pole I bought for $1,200.
    Last edited by deathb4disco; 01-09-2015 at 10:49 AM. Reason: added link to POLE

Post Thanks / Like

... if you go into a fly shop asking to buy a fly pole I am sure there will be a few funny looks and perhaps a unkind remark or two.
    ... which is why fly fishing has a reputation for snobbiness. I say that as somebody who loves fly fishing.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes there are very expensive RODS. I have a few split cane fly rods. Not sure about expensive pole? Not trying to be a smart AAA but if you go into a fly shop asking to buy a fly pole I am sure there will be a few funny looks and perhaps a unkind remark or two.
    .... pfffttt -- If I was to walk into a fly fishing shop, dressed as I normally do, there's no doubt I'd get funny looks & some "unkind" or off hand remarks made about me. Little would they know that I "could" afford to buy anything in the store that I wanted. But, I'm used to negative scrutiny on how I look & what I wear ... since I've been a long haired "freak" since before High School, and still wear my grey hair long & in a pony tail at the age of 66.

I, for one, don't let the PC nomenclature of today's world dictate what I call something ... and if it strikes me the wrong way about how I'm perceived or treated, then I take my business elsewhere. I may or may not relate what I "was" going to purchase, prior to leaving that establishment. It just depends on how "froggy" I'm feeling that day, as to what level of redress I feel is appropriate.

"Expensive" is relative to the financial state of the person doing the purchase. A $1000 cane pole isn't expensive to a rich person, but a $5 one may be to a person that's financially destitute.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    ... and still wear my grey hair long & in a pony tail at the age of 66.
    You rebel, you!

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

In fly fishing a bobber or float is a strike indecator!! In Bass fishing if you had a float in your tackle box you was a sissy until a guy brought a 5 fish (5 smallmouth that weighed also 30 lb's) on a float and fly and now it is ok to a have a float and fly box for smallmouth fishing!!
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.
    Likes scrat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I would say where you are at regionally would have allot to do with what you call it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast