Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Casting rod for 1/16'' jigs and smaller?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Casting rod for 1/16'' jigs and smaller?

I use a 5'6'' light action, was wondering if more length will help with longer cast?

Post Thanks / Like

I am sure a longer pole will help with distance, although using a different line could help too. I just discovered Berkleys Nanofil that I will be using on My casting rods this year, You can cast it a country mile although I had to reel up some Mono backing and tie a Fluoro leader, but thats no biggy.

Post Thanks / Like

Longer rod
    Thinner line
    Larger reel spool

All will help casting distance.

Post Thanks / Like

Shakespeare has a micro lite series of rods I have some in 7' and 7'6" plus as said above I use a reel wide a wide spool and power pro slick 8 braid. I can get respectable distance from this set up. I have heard good things about nanofil . I may have to try some in the near future.

Post Thanks / Like

When they say longer...don't go with a 10' rod! LOL j/k

I would suggest a 6'-7' rod with light-medium action so that you can get a good whip out of the end of the rod to sling that little jig a good distance. An ultralight would be too flimsy to send the jig out a good ways.
    Test the rod in the store before you buy. Check the tip to make sure it is flexible but sturdy to whip the jig out and try "ghost casting" in the store to see how the rod acts when you whip it. This should help you get the right rod for your needs.
    Remember, the more expensive a rod is, DOES NOT mean it is a better rod. Always trust your feel of the rod and the feel on your wallet. Good luck!
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guys, I will look @ Academy & Gander Mountain.

Post Thanks / Like

to test a rod in the store, attach a weight the same weight as you want to fish with. don't use one with a hook in it. you will be able to check the flex and feel.

Post Thanks / Like

Med light rod , thinner line, wider spool and you'll be able to sling that puppy out there!
    Find me on Twitter & Instagram @rhinofishing

Post Thanks / Like

I built my St Croix 7' specifically for casting 1/32 and 1/16 ounce jig heads. Their avid avs70ulm2 is the model you might find in the store with the same blank, at least to use as a reference. I have also gone to using 2000- 2500 size reels to have the larger diameter spool so the mono coils up a little less. 3# northland tackle blue camo panfish mono (or any other 3# mono) pairs well with that rod.

Post Thanks / Like

I like a longer rod and am in the process of building an 8' from a 3wt flyrod blank. I'm told this combo with 2# - 4# fluoro or one of the superthin hybrid lines is just the ticket. My Current rod is 7'6 UL that does a decent job but I like tryng something new, I also have a 5' UL that can on a good day give me a 50' cast with a 1/64 oz jig.

I've used this line in 2# test for 2 years Yo-Zuri Hybrid Ultra Soft Fishing Line Mist Green and love it for small jigs on a spinning rod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast