HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Round ball vs. minnow heads for long lining

Post Thanks / Like

Default Round ball vs. minnow heads for long lining

Plan on ordering jigs soon mostly to be used long lining. Wondering if I should consider minnow heads? Besides the appearance does it make much difference? My feeling is it's probably a confidence thing and doesn't make much difference.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm assuming round head jigs vs shaped jigheads like gitzit or swimbaits. You are basically looking at the aerodynamics of the shape, a round front such as the round ball jigheads create a great deal of drag due to poor ability to cut through the water meaning more line out to reach the desired depth. I prefer this style of jig for casting and slow pushing.

The shaped jigheads i usually see are pointed on the front which allows it ct through the water better. I prefer these for trolling or drifting.
    If you are comfortable with using one jig type your tool then i wouldn't change a thing, but i always say try everything once and decide for yourself.
    Likes Redge, shipahoy41, JP_Raleigh LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Some say that a round ball will run a bit deeper than the minnow head style,and the round ball with collar will run even deeper.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Minnow heads definitely run deeper due to there aerodynamic shape. I carry some of each, but prefer round heads.

Post Thanks / Like

What is long lining?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smoltz View Post
    What is long lining?
    Check this link out Smoltz, lots of great info on it: Longlining

In a nutshell, using multiple rods out the side/back and letting long lengths of line out to pull jigs. Numerous ways to configure, but the key is understanding the variables (line length, weights, and speed) to a determine depth.
    A man remembered never dies.

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO, a round O object of X ounces will meet with a great deal of resistance and create alot of drag, whereas a shaped pointed type < object of equal ounces will meet with less resistance and be able the move better through the water. Just my take on it. Though i do agree the collar type jigs do dive deep, i own a few of those myself.

Post Thanks / Like

The "aerodynamics" of the jig is all inclusive. That is to say that the head of the jig effects how the jig moves through the water and the body and hook do as well. The shape of the jig (curly tail, shad, squid, tube, etc.) has the most effect on the action of the jig itself.
    Just imagine a bullet going through the air. Some bullets are rounded on the tip and some are pointed. Most that travel the fastest are more pointed and streamlined to get the bullet to target faster. The rounded bullets still make the target but a bit slower. Both achieve the objective. Both are aerodynamic. Both are made of lead but they may weigh different. But if you put a curly tail on that bullet what do you think it will do? See, it's simple when you think of it like that.
    With that said, I do not notice the difference between different types of jig heads...I do notice the the difference from the weight of the head and other weights. I think that is what makes the most difference in action. The weight.

Maybe someone could do a fish tank test with the jig heads only without bodies on to see if it makes a difference?! That would be cool to see the results on video.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I like to use round heads longlining, never seen any of them jump out of the water because of resistance. Heck you are only pulling at .07 to maybe 1.2 mph.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

I been long lining for over twenty years and can assure you that round heads run deeper than minnow heads. I have used many different types of bodies with same results. Different bodies will be more buoyant or create more drag. Hooks can be heavier too. All tolerances same other than the head shape equals minnow heads get deeper, but Roundheads maintain their depth better with boat movements. This is why I like Roundheads better, maintain better depth control when pulling. A minnowhead will bounce or flutter more. Behind a larger Roundhead a lighter minnowhead will flutter like it's wounded with boat movements and many days creates more strikes. On calm days with little boat traffic I will use double minnowheads or when I need to get a little deeper.
    Likes cglarsen LIKED above post
    Thanks JP_Raleigh thanked you for this post