Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Frying Crappie.....with eggs or milk?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Frying Crappie.....with eggs or milk?

Is there REALLY a difference in wetting them in egg or milk versus just plain water, then breading them? We have always just put them in a bowl of water, and then barely tamp them on a paper towel to get the excess water off, then put in the bag of meal, and shake, then throw em' in the oil.

Just wondering if milk really makes a difference or not? And eggs seem like it would be too gobbed up on the fillets, and the meal will just be real thick? We are getting ready to fry up about 200 or so fillets on New Years, and just wondering about doing some a little differently.

I tried the fried corn-on-the-cob, it was absolutley great, but I think this time I'm going to try and soak them in butter first instead of water, before I bread them with the meal. Anybody ever tried that? Did the butter burn?
    Kevin Taylor
    20XD Bullet

Post Thanks / Like

Fried 96 crappie, bluegill, red ear & bass this weekend. Never used any milk or eggs, just let water drain from fillets in collendar. Used a shaker bowl and Goldern Dip brand cajun style breading - sticks pretty good to moist fillets. Milk or egg would make it stick even better, but it is not required.
    Early to bed, early to rise,
    Fish like hell, make up lies.

Post Thanks / Like

I am a firm believer in "If it aint broke don't fix it"

So I still do mine in a milk and egg mixture. Not sure if it makes a big difference just know that they taste good this way so that is the way I am going to continue.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

Post Thanks / Like

I use onion ring batter...no milk or egg needed. The mix calls for water but a little beer works well too....

Post Thanks / Like

Milk,Water,Beer, it's ALL Good. For something different, I like to add any of the 3 to my Favorite Mustard. Thin out the mustard dip the fillets in that before you coat them in the bredding of choice
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Post Thanks / Like

We always dip our fillets in flour 1st, then egg wash but light on the milk, and then whatever breading we are using. Seems the flour 1st gives the egg wash a good dry base to cling to and really makes for the breading always being on good & thick and always sticking.
    Shoer,
    12th Degree Ninja

Post Thanks / Like

The purpose of milk and/or egg is to make the fishmeal stick better. Some people do it some don't. It's just your preferance since you are the cook.:D
    I prefer the egg/milk mix and I can taste a little bit of difference.

I've never tried using butter on fried corn on the cob. I'll have to try that sometime.

Post Thanks / Like

This is really easy and makes a nice crust. Season your flour any way you perfer and give the fillets and light coating. Dip them in some egg wash and then give them an outer coating of dry instant potato flakes. Yummy!!

Larry

Post Thanks / Like

Man, that does sound good!
    Kevin Taylor
    20XD Bullet

Post Thanks / Like

I fried some up the other day using the egg/milk method and I didn't like it as much as just plain breader. To each his own I guess. I like my fish a little on the crispier side without so much breading. El Natural so to speak! :D
    Currently a non-fishing slacker! (not for too much longer)