Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Is there a rod sock that fits 12 foot poles?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is there a rod sock that fits 12 foot poles?

Just ordered me 8 12 foot B 'n' M Bucks Graphite Jig Poles to start spider rigging and was wanting to get rod socks for them but haven't found any for 12 foot poles. Does anyone know if anybody makes them to fit rods that length or will I just have to get the ones from bass pro that fits up to 8 foot rods? Thanks

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

to Crappie.com, KY Grant !!

Not sure if there are any "socks" commercially made for a 12' rod ... at least not when it's at full length. Broken down in sections, a sock for a 6-8' rod will work and there are several brands/styles to choose from.

I have several from BPS & Cabela's ... and I prefer the Cabela's brand, due to the simple draw string it has, over the elastic strap system of the BPS brand. The Cabela's brand sock also has a velcro strip on the side, where you can use it to adjust the length of the sock and the snugness of the fit on shorter rods or multi-piece rods.

To get a "sock" that would fit a fully extended/connected 12' rod ... you're likely going to have to sew one, yourself, or get someone to do it for you. Since their primary purpose is to keep rods from getting tangled while stored in a rod box, there's not much call for any for rods over 8' ... since boat rod lockers are rarely made to accommodate rods longer than 8'.

... cp
    Likes Billbob LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

That's what I figured. I'll probably get a couple of the ones supposed to go on to a 8 foot rod and see if that work. My plan is to just keep them connected the whole time. Thinking they will keep the tips tangling up with each other

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KY Grant View Post
    That's what I figured. I'll probably get a couple of the ones supposed to go on to a 8 foot rod and see if that work. My plan is to just keep them connected the whole time. Thinking they will keep the tips tangling up with each other
    A buddy of mine uses 14' & 16' rods (3pc) and breaks them down ... then uses the small hair "scrunchies" on each end to keep them bundled together. That's the way they stay when in the rod box & not in use. Once in use, they're laid along the gunnel of the boat ... and they do tend to get tangled. He wants a transport setup, but the layout/shape of his boat makes that a difficult task.

You might consider taking the 12' rods down by only ONE section ... then putting them in a rod sock. Just be sure that any hooks left on the line are secured to the reel end of the rod, so that they don't have a chance to stick into the fabric of the rod sock.

And don't forget to come over to the KY state forum & join in on the discussions.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    A buddy of mine uses 14' & 16' rods (3pc) and breaks them down ... then uses the small hair "scrunchies" on each end to keep them bundled together. That's the way they stay when in the rod box & not in use. Once in use, they're laid along the gunnel of the boat ... and they do tend to get tangled. He wants a transport setup, but the layout/shape of his boat makes that a difficult task.

You might consider taking the 12' rods down by only ONE section ... then putting them in a rod sock. Just be sure that any hooks left on the line are secured to the reel end of the rod, so that they don't have a chance to stick into the fabric of the rod sock.

And don't forget to come over to the KY state forum & join in on the discussions.

... cp
    Thanks for the replies. We just got our seat mounts and rod holders from Cumberland Crappie last week and I've kinda started to like the looks of them transport racks they make. Might go that route maybe

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by Ranger690; 01-02-2015 at 10:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Make your own with some expandable braided cable sleeves:

Expandable Braided Cable Sleeving, Expandable Cable Sleeving
    Randy Andres

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone needing Rod Sox up to 16' lengths please contact Rod Sox or Lake Fork Tackle which is the sister company. I am Pro Staff for both companies and they are great people with great products. Please PM me with any question if you have difficulty locating what you need! A little tip..you can store more than one rod in a sleeve, several users use this technique for storage in transport.

Rod Sox, LLC.
    1000 E. US Highway 69
    Emory, TX 75440
    (214) 215-2221

[email protected]

Brandon Jennings
    Brandon Jennings
    Bayou Crappie ETC