Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What features to look for when bank fishing crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What features to look for when bank fishing crappie?

Our local lake is drawn down right now. We was walking the shoreline looking around. Not much in features along the shore other than a fish crib or two.
    When looking and taking notes while the water is low, what should I be looking for bottom feature wise?
    I'll looking for areas that will attract fish in the spring during spawn time along banks.
    It seem everything is just a sloping downward bank. Muddy dirty rock bottom or heavy stone/slate bottoms.

Post Thanks / Like

Look for the areas with lots of rocks. That usually holds algae which draws in bait fish which draws in crappie. Same for hard bottom with gravel. Also look for any weeds that may be growing or have grown. They may grow back up providing a good location for hiding also. Check with your local game wardens to see if you can add structure to the lake and if you want put out your own structure before it rises.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks,
    So far all I have found is like a muddy type/ muck bottom. No gravel or nothing located yet.

We are not allowed to add our own fish structures. The state adds some.

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you got a good camera take some pic's of the land features and blow up pic's and put them in a photo album for future reference will be surprised how well this album works when the water comes back up normal pool!!
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.
    Likes short grub LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Creek channels and deeper water within casting distance of the shore would be something else I would look for.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I always look for things i can cast to from the bank like points, sheltered coves, any wood, docks, docks with lights on them, grass,brushpiles, laydowns, bridges, shallow water with deep water close by, and other crappie fishermen.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Likes bowhunter012463, TowboatTroller LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Look for deep coves by looking at the contour of the land. Steep banks = deep water. A trick my Pops learned while crappie fishn long ago is to fish docks that hold sail boats because the dock builders dredge up mud and stuff to make the water deeper to accommodate keels. Check out the DNR book and look for nearby fishing piers on a lake near you. Most the time the piers only produce in the spring.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 01-02-2015 at 02:58 PM. Reason: illegal activity remark removed
    Oh I could wrestle a monster fish

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Look for deadfalls laying on rocky shorelines. Walk out and hang a few fresh branches on the deeper end and more on a long empty branch that is close to the shore. This will give you a good spring, summer, and fall spot. Water doesn't have to be deeper than 7ft at regular pool for this to work. Do this to a few different spots so you'll have some that will be out of the wind at times. Replenish these spots every year the lake is down.
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Dark spots out in the water could indicate cover someone has put out. Take your rod with you and throw a 1/4 oz. sinker or crankbaits without hooks to feel for brush, stakebeds, etc. Take an index card and write down notes to help you remember specific info about each spot, distance, depth at winter pool, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help guys!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast