Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What weight hooks?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What weight hooks?

Hey guy, ive always fished for crappie during spring and all the way til September. And I've always used 1/16oz jigheads. Is it a certain time of year to use 1/32? I hear of alot of people using them. Thanks.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Depending on conditions and where they are staging, I use everything from 1/32 to 1/4. Lately the bite has been deep and I use 10/2 braid and 1/4oz brush guard jigs and plastics to fish the edges of river channels and the junk that litters the bottom there. Some of my friends use 1/32 plastics to shoot under shady boathouses in deep water and also do very well. Using only one size or style of might produce some but you can up your game by putting it in front of their nose with a little different presentation.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I used 1/32 jig heads when dock shooting to slow the baits fall and keep it in the strike zone longer.
    Likes Bronson LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys.

Post Thanks / Like

1/32 is all I use, vertical jigging or shooting docks.

Post Thanks / Like

The 1/32 jig heads I use have #2 Matzou red sickle hooks. They are made at a local tackle shop. The hooks are razor sharp. I get a good positive hook up into the cartilage in the roof of the mouth.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jwoneal View Post
    I used 1/32 jig heads when dock shooting to slow the baits fall and keep it in the strike zone longer.
    I agree that the main reason to use lighter jigs is fall rate and offering finicky fish something different. When casting, you might consider using 1/16 for finding fish and 1/32 when you find them. Sometimes a longer look is all it takes for them to hit. For tightlining, I would use a 1/8 or larger. IMO, you'll need to add a weight to fish a a 1/32 or 1/16 oz. jig. I prefer the 1/8 or bigger jig for tightlining because I want to feel the brush as I work it. I started off using 1/16 oz. jigs and time an time again could not "feel" my jig and discovered it was a couple of feet behind me on a limb.