Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Thrift store fly rod from years gone by.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thrift store fly rod from years gone by.

After reading about Ship's post of his rod holder I got to thinking of found treasures from the past. My most Memorable was a Pfluger fly rod and reel from a thrift store. For a few dollars of my grass cutting money it was mine. Until then I had only seen fly rods in Field and Stream magazine. Found some fly line at either Sears or Montgomery Wards. Scientific Angler floating line. Searched the Library for books on Fly fishing and how to tie a tippet. Growing up on the Alabama coast you couldn't find any flies. So I tied some on the smallest brim hooks I could find. Pieces of tinsel and white sewing thread. The time was fall of the year and the yearling bass were schooling up chasing shad. I managed to somehow cast my makeshift fly into the action and was rewarded with a small bass that seemed huge at the time. That was the best time an 8 year old could have. The rod is long since gone, just as the Zebco 202's but the memory remains. All in a world without the internet.
    Likes shipahoy41, BAMA S, chaunc, Cane Pole LIKED above post

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Great story. Great memories.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice story!! Reminds us that we can do almost anything if we put our mind to it.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good read. I wasn't 8 but my first fly rod was as bottom dollar as you could get, and so were the cheesy dime a piece poppers I used. My first big bass caught while putting the little bug in place for bluegill is still fresh in my mind over 25 yrs later. Thanks for the ride down memory lane.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Never hurts to remember humble beginings when the world was a much simpler place.
    Likes shipahoy41, Redge LIKED above post

BAMA S is offline Crappie.com Legend and AL Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good read, brought back memories of me as a kid. We used fly rods to bream fish with from 5 years old on. We didn't have many flys, mostly used a cork and wiggler. Thnx

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Reminds me of when I worked two paper routes to make enough money to buy my first rod and reel. Got in trouble tho as I was supposed to use some of my money to help pay for school lunches for that week. I was nine and remember that vividly. I did extra chores for my gramma and other neighbors to make up for the money, but lost fishing time doing it.

Post Thanks / Like

Caught many a fish in dog river and mobile bay 50 years ago with a zebco 202.

Post Thanks / Like

Its pretty down on Dog River. Great fishing too.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Ima country boy. Grew up on a farm slopping hogs. We cut our own cane poles. Black nylon line, a cork from a medicine bottle, a 2/0 hook makes for good fishing. We seined creeks and ponds for minners and crawdads. Good memories.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes kycreek LIKED above post