PDA

View Full Version : Thrift Store Rod Holder Find for Five Dollars Photo

shipahoy41
12-30-2014, 03:15 PM
You know I love to search flea markets and thrift stores for items I can use to make fishing better for me. This year I was able to find a small cabinet to store my molds and powder paints. Yesterday I found myself a home made rod holder rack that will hold six rods. I did have to get some surgical tubing and cup screws to make the top holder on it and then I cut up an old fishing rod and used locktite to fashion something to keep the bottom of the rods from slipping out. I still have to find a knob for the bottom compartment that opens for storage. I do not think it is too bad for just five dollars. Loretta is happy because the garage area does not have my rods all over the place. You never know what you will find at the thrift store. I would love to see what others have found that they use in the hobby of fishing.

:Rofl:biggrin

Crappie Buster
12-30-2014, 03:22 PM
That's a good find!

Redge
12-30-2014, 03:44 PM
Nice find, I would need about 10 of those! Good deal though I would have dropped the hammer on it.

DockShootinJack
12-30-2014, 03:47 PM
Awesome find

BoarBuster
12-30-2014, 04:31 PM
It works and fills you needs. Thats the important thing of course the price was great. Had not thought of hitting the thrift shop for supplies. Thanks for the heads up.

shipahoy41
12-30-2014, 06:58 PM
It works and fills you needs. Thats the important thing of course the price was great. Had not thought of hitting the thrift shop for supplies. Thanks for the heads up.

You can find all sorts of tying materials for jigs and fishing vests and things. I get my Pyrex cups for making soft plastic baits and the microwaves there so the wife won't be mad because I used the one in the kitchen. I found a nice stereo system for the workshop area there too.

"G"
12-30-2014, 07:05 PM
cool beans Mike

grinder
12-30-2014, 08:28 PM
Looks good.

skeetbum
12-30-2014, 09:33 PM
Good deal, and a pattern for others.

chucktx
12-30-2014, 09:42 PM
great deal!!!!!!!!!!

shipahoy41
12-30-2014, 10:00 PM
Good deal, and a pattern for others.

Hey my friend. I might get some wood and piano hinges and have a go at it this summer.

tahoe 50
01-01-2015, 09:23 AM
My wife hits the shops when we go to different or new towns fishing. She has picked up some very good buys. I never thought about fishing stuff. That is a very nice rod holder.

CrappiePappy
01-01-2015, 11:29 PM
Never really checked thrift shops or yard sales for fishing equipment. BUT, wouldn't you know it ... as I was headed to the office to pay this months rent, I stopped at the recycle bins to drop off some boxes. As I checked them out to see if they were full, I noticed what looked like a rod tip poking out. I figured someone broke a rod and was just throwing it away. I thought to myself that the recycle bin probably wasn't the correct place for a fishing pole, and my curiosity got the better of me , so I pulled it out ... and, believe it or not, it was a Zebco 33 combo - 6' rod med action & a 33 reel with what looked like red Cajun line and a big 'ol honkin snap swivel. Well, I thought to myself, the reel is probably toast and that's why they threw it away. Nope ... reel works fine ... rod isn't damaged ... and the only "blemish" to the whole outfit was a split/gash in the rubber of the foregrip (right where the blank enters the handle). That's it !! In fact, the outfit looks brand new ... no signs of wear, or even use, other than the damage to the foregrip.

Now if that don't epitomize the old saying .... "one man's trash is another man's treasure" ... then I don't know what is !! And why a repairable split in the foregrip would cause someone to recycle a new $30 rod/reel combo ... :dono But, I'll certainly "recycle" it for them :ThumbsUp

... cp :kewl

shipahoy41
01-02-2015, 07:47 AM
Never really checked thrift shops or yard sales for fishing equipment. BUT, wouldn't you know it ... as I was headed to the office to pay this months rent, I stopped at the recycle bins to drop off some boxes. As I checked them out to see if they were full, I noticed what looked like a rod tip poking out. I figured someone broke a rod and was just throwing it away. I thought to myself that the recycle bin probably wasn't the correct place for a fishing pole, and my curiosity got the better of me , so I pulled it out ... and, believe it or not, it was a Zebco 33 combo - 6' rod med action & a 33 reel with what looked like red Cajun line and a big 'ol honkin snap swivel. Well, I thought to myself, the reel is probably toast and that's why they threw it away. Nope ... reel works fine ... rod isn't damaged ... and the only "blemish" to the whole outfit was a split/gash in the rubber of the foregrip (right where the blank enters the handle). That's it !! In fact, the outfit looks brand new ... no signs of wear, or even use, other than the damage to the foregrip.

Now if that don't epitomize the old saying .... "one man's trash is another man's treasure" ... then I don't know what is !! And why a repairable split in the foregrip would cause someone to recycle a new $30 rod/reel combo ... :dono But, I'll certainly "recycle" it for them :ThumbsUp

... cp :kewl

You found a treasure Pappy. Well done.