Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Speed of Sinkers

Post Thanks / Like

Default Speed of Sinkers

Can't find this anywhere and am curious as to what people think.

When vertical jigging, do you count how many seconds the sinker takes to reach a certain depth? If so, does anyone have a rule of thumb such as an 1/8 Oz weight sinks at 1 foot per second, etc.?

Just curious to know what different sized weights would sink at certain rates. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

When I vertical jig I just drop the jig to the bottom and then count the number of half turns of my reel to get it at the right depth. 1 half turn equals 1 foot of line for my setup. When casting I usually assume about a second per foot. That might be way off but that's what I use.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SlabHunter2013 View Post
    When I vertical jig I just drop the jig to the bottom and then count the number of half turns of my reel to get it at the right depth. 1 half turn equals 1 foot of line for my setup. When casting I usually assume about a second per foot. That might be way off but that's what I use.
    X2 ditto
    Crappie Attitude
    US NAVY Veteran
    Find Them Grind Them

Post Thanks / Like

Your first question was a good one. You can learn a lot from this site. Welcome!

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have just always used the count down method. Release at surface in a depth you know. Count 1001-1002-1003 until it stops. Then you can calculate about how far a second it is dropping.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes CrappieFlopper LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    Your first question was a good one. You can learn a lot from this site. Welcome!
    Thank you! I have been stalking for awhile. Just a got a 15' jon boat this year and plan on doing a lot more crappie/bluegill fishing next year. Love the site!

Post Thanks / Like

I have read (here) that a 1/16th oz jig will drop 1ft per second, which seems slow to me, but I do count when I want to fish the water column