Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fly Rod, what kind of reel?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fly Rod, what kind of reel?

So I have seen where people are using a fly rod for crappie, my question is this. Do I use a fly reel with 4-6 lb line on it (no backing) or just use a "regular" bait-caster of enclosed reel?

I want to lean towards the fly reel, but want some opinion on this.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I have used small spinning reels on them. They work out pretty good

Post Thanks / Like

If you're going to be casting flies use a fly reel with fly line. Even a spinning reel on a fly rod won't cast flies well. You don't need an expensive one for crappie or bluegill fishing.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are going to use it to jig fish get one of these.
    https://www.bnmpoles.com/p-275-bucks...ppie-reel.aspx
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I used a rear seat fly rod for a bit with a small spinning reel......... it works but is awkward feeling imo........
    Three can keep a secret................If two of them are dead! (Benjamin Franklin)

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

It's all in how YOU want to use it. At its core, a fly rod is simply that ... a rod with a rear reel seat.

My Grandpa used fly rod/reel and fly line with 8lb test mono leader (w/hook & sinker) and tightlined minnows with it. He caught many a Crappie on those outfits.

They were handed down to me. I took the reels off & replaced them with a large spinning reel on one, and a small baitcast reel on the other. I put the spinning reel in the rear reel seat, and though it was awkward at first, I did go on to use it to catch many a Crappie. The other one, that I put the baitcast reel on, I taped the reel to the cork handle. I never really got to use it all that much, but it worked fine. These outfits were used prior to me ever having a rod longer than 6' long. They are in the "fishing stuff closet", along with many other pieces of "retired" equipment. But I have little doubt that they could be dusted off and put to use, and be expected to catch fish, once again.

If you use a fly reel .... put some heavy pound test el cheapo mono on it as backing. This will increase the retrieve ratio, so that you won't be cranking in 4 or 5 inches of line per turn of the handle, setting very small coils in your line, or having to use an entire bulk spool of quality line to fill the reel up to a point where your average retrieve ratio is equal to that of a spinning/spincast/baitcast reel (~ 5:1). Something like South Bend or Shakespeare 20lb mono can be purchased at your local X-marts for a couple of dollars. Or, you could always reverse wind old line off some of your other reels that are due for new line.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Just an FYI, you can buy a fighting butt that goes on the end of most fly rods. It turns it from a fly rod into a spinning rod in seconds. I own several of them. Most of my steelhead rods were built as fly rods and then a fighting butt was added.

This gave you the ability to have two rods in one. It saved some money when you are talking about fly rods that can run in upwards of 4 figures in price.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"