Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Single Pole Jig Size

Post Thanks / Like

Default Single Pole Jig Size

Just learning this technique and wanted to know what you all thought was the best jig weight for this. I typically fish 20 to 30 FOW when I do this. Also what would be your best tip that you could give me. I'm always wanting to learn......thanks
    paddle faster i think i hear banjo music !!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 1/8oz with a 1/0 sickle
    Take you kids fishing today!!! They will be grown (and married and have children of their on) tomorrow. Then you can take your GRANDKIDS!
    Podunkideas Pro Staff
    Cornfield Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I use the same mostly.......

Post Thanks / Like

If it is windy I will go with the 1/8, in no wind situations I go with the 3/32. Both I use #4 hooks, to me they seem to go through the brush better.

Post Thanks / Like

This is good info. What about jig type, line size,electronics , etc. Thanks...

Post Thanks / Like

Round head jig with wire keeper. 8# suffix. Just switched to Lowrance in the new boat. Hds 7 on the front and hds 10 on console. Sometimes have to downsize to a 1/16
    Take you kids fishing today!!! They will be grown (and married and have children of their on) tomorrow. Then you can take your GRANDKIDS!
    Podunkideas Pro Staff
    Cornfield Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Like buffalo 13 said go with the wire keeper if you can. Holds the plastic on much better. 6lb or 8lb vicious hi vis green, you will see strikes you never thought were there. I mainly use my hand tied jigs now but still fish plastic on occasion. Just about always use a crappie nibble. As far as rods go I like the B and M Sam's Super Sensitive in 12ft. But I am wanting to try an Ozark and a Pro Angler. Pm me your address and I will send you a sample pack of my hand tied jigs.
    Likes DroptineJoe LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

If you fish 20 to 30 fow then a heavier jig will work best to get the jig down to the crappie. 1/8 or 1/4 should be good for deep water. You can use a lighter jig if you like and add a 1/4 oz split shot about a foot above the jig to give it more weight to get the bait down there. Me personally, I use 1/8 oz jig and add a 1/8 oz split shot and I can get the bait down fairly quickly each time and still feel the bite on 6 lb mono high viz line.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Likes theygotaeat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use 1/4oz and 1/8oz for deep jigging and/or windy days. I use two jigs on the same pole ( tied with loop knots) if the situation allows. I like 30lb braided line in yellow (very sensitive, easy to see and will straighten hooks). I use an 8' or a 12' pole, sometimes one in each hand. Good luck on the water.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey thanks guys, that's what I like about this web site. As I said....I'm always wanting to learn. Keep them tips coming....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast