Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: battery terminal corrosion

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default battery terminal corrosion

Is there any way to keep the positive poles of my batteries from corroding so bad? I have an on board charger/maintainer but I've noticed when it is plugged in, alot of corrosion collects on the terminals. Do they make a product that will stop this? Is there anything else I can do to correct it? Thanks

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by speckhunter
    Is there any way to keep the positive poles of my batteries from corroding so bad? I have an on board charger/maintainer but I've noticed when it is plugged in, alot of corrosion collects on the terminals. Do they make a product that will stop this? Is there anything else I can do to correct it? Thanks
    I have had good luck with these. http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...ELYX%7C%7Etrue
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    I've never had corrosion problems on my boat batteries but I keep the felt pads on all of my vehicles. Usually replace 'em only when replacing batteries.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Clean it with bakeing soda then coat with petrolium jelly. Its messy but works. I do see some cars come through the shop with a penny under each terminal and none of those are corroded. Havent tried that.

Post Thanks / Like

When they are new or real clean they make a spray coating like thin paint that works well. I also use 100% silicon spray on all my electrical connections and plugs and that helps too.

I think most auto parts stores would have this including Walmart.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

When I got mine new from the dealer they had put some type of silicon on them and I seem to have no problems at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Speck go to your local parts store and buy a tube of die-electric grease clean the terminal with battery clearner also from the parts store,then cote them with the grease and reassemble.Its specifically formulated for electrial connections.I use it on all connections at the shop and it works about the best.:D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skiptomylu
    When they are new or real clean they make a spray coating like thin paint that works well.
    It's called Battery Protectant and it works great. If you have an older battery, clean the posts and the insides of the clamps with a special tool you can find at an auto parts store, then spray the protectant on the posts and clamps and your battery will last longer.

Post Thanks / Like

All of the products recommended will help but the bottom line is that when the batteries get older the seal around the post will leak vapor when heated (by charging or loaded use) and this is what causes the corrosion and the only way to stop it that I have found is to have the battery rebuilt or replaced.