Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New to me boat- Aluminacraft 16 -anyone have one?

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up New to me boat- Aluminacraft 16 -anyone have one?

Found a good deal on an older 16' Alumicraft. Ugly trailer, but it works. The motor was supposed to be dead, but when I checked compression, it was good. Has no spark. I think it's just a dead powerpack or stator. It's rated for 60 HP, and I have an Evinrude 48 SPL that I was planning to put on it, but now I might just keep the 40, since it has power trim.

Here are the pictures I took on the way home:
    Name:  Berkeley-20141226-00640-3.jpg
Views: 5386
Size:  76.2 KBName:  IMG-20141226-00633-3.jpg
Views: 3545
Size:  88.0 KBName:  Bermuda-20141226-00634-3.jpg
Views: 3653
Size:  94.0 KBName:  Berkeley-20141226-00636-3.jpg
Views: 4795
Size:  79.5 KBName:  IMG-20141226-00638-3.jpg
Views: 4059
Size:  79.5 KB Name:  Berkeley-20141226-00639-3.jpg
Views: 1466
Size:  73.7 KB

Does anyone here have one of these? Any idea how fast it might be with 40 HP? 50 HP? I LOVE the fact that this boat has a giant livewell under the front deck.

From what I can see, I'm going to want some pedestal seats, a trolling motor and lots of rod holders. Any suggestions?

-TH
    Likes DesertBerry LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

looks naked. needs some dressing up

Post Thanks / Like

Has allot of potential. A bare canvas to build as you wish.
    Likes chrispy LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice, lots of room. Is the floor wood or aluminum? If it's wood and was kept outdoors it's probably rotten and needs replaced. Had to replace the floor on the one I had, other than that loved the boat. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

You're gonna enjoy gettin' that dude ready to go. Congrats on the new ride!

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Have a 20' champion with all the whistles!! But when I want to go catch fish!! I take my 16-48 aluminacraft!! have a merc 30 hp jet will go just about anywhere it will float!! fish sloughs private lakes even the big lakes!!
    Last edited by jackie53; 12-28-2014 at 09:22 AM.
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Post Thanks / Like

Reminds me of my first real fishing boat, Had a 16' SeaNyph pike attacker still wished I'd kept her. Dang duck hunting got to me lol.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a 16' Lund with 3 bench seats and tiller steer. The hull was very similar to what you have. As already said, check the structural first, floor, transom and so on. Put the plug in and fill it with some water and check for leaky rivets, they got to be done first. The 40 will push it between 25 and 30 and I would keep that motor because of the PTT. To the front; find a piece of 1/4" aluminum and cover the front behind the front handle to facilitate mounting a trolling motor. Diamond and tread plate look good but the flat stays tight after vibration has had a chance to work on it. The plastic hatch covers will do but I see their placement being in the way of placing seat mounts. To solve this consider extending the front deck a foot and build it beefy enough to support the seat(s) you want up there. It will also add to the storage that is always lacking in metal boats. The live well being up front is cool and by the time you put batteries and fuel in the rear it will help balance and stabilize the boat when you run solo. I don't see much hope for the trailer, but I do see them for sale used from time to time on Craigslist. My Lund had a straight frame and 12" tires. It did the job fine but sat very tall and was a pain on shallow ramps, finds a low frame if you can and it will keep you from inventing new words at the ramp. I believe you will dress that boat and enjoy it for a long time when you're done. They run on almost no fuel and tow very easy. Lots of ideas on Tinboats.com, these were just my opinions and some of the changes I would have done to mine had I kept it. Good luck with it and keep us posted, always like to watch the progress......Skeet.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes Billbob, shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have a newer sort of similar Alumacraft in the classifieds that might be useful for comparison. I have the speed/numbers listed in the ad:
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/perso...ies-boat-sale/

Post Thanks / Like

That will fish right there. Nice rig.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast