Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter Time Tactics?!?

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Winter Time Tactics?!?

I've never fished for gills other than in May or June (spawning time here where I live). Just out of curiosity, what kind of tactics are used for catching gills this time of the year and how productive are they? I'm referring to lakes, not ponds. What bait works well and how deep do you fish. Bottom fishing or floats? Structure or sandy bottoms? Etc.? Etc.? Water temps here running 60 degrees now, but will cool to the 50's soon.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish for them year-round. During colder weather, I typically fish a little deeper (10-15') with a float, just off bottom near the best structure I can find. Maggots are a great bait, but meal worms or wax worms are also good.

Post Thanks / Like

Try deeper water,10 -30 feet, 4 pound test, tear drops, and spikes. Just cast it out with no bobber and let it slowly work its way toward the bottom. I will begin by feeding out enough line after the cast to allow the hook and bait to sink straight down. After a few of those casts then I will cast and not put out any extra line so that the rig slowly swings back toward the boat or shore on its way to the bottom. The hits will often be very subtle as they tend to just suck it in and sit there so watch for any slight tick or slack in the line. Set the hook and reel them in.
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slabsrus
    The hits will often be very subtle
    I agree completely -- the colder the water, the softer the bite.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been catching quite a few gills in the 15-25 foot range that last couple of weeks while Crappie fishing. I have been catching some big gills too!!
    Kevin Taylor
    20XD Bullet

Post Thanks / Like

do they still bite with the same frequency as in the spring.summer, just more subtle, or is the action slower as well as it is deeper?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the action is quite as fast as other times of the year, simply because their metabolism is slower. But I have had some great days in the cold. It's just a matter of finding the fish and presenting the bait the way they want it.

Ice fishermen do very well, too. They just have to drill a lot of holes sometimes!

Post Thanks / Like

I have had good luck in deeper water around cover with a bell sinker on the end of my line and my hook 12-18" from the bottom. I fish tightlining with a meal worm usually. Bite can be slow and very soft at times.

Post Thanks / Like

I have found a lot of days can be just as fast of a bite as warm weather as long as you have the bait they want in the spot they want and presented the way they want. We often hit the gills and specks so fast that you can not get your lure back in the water quick enough.
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the posts, I also am a warm weather perch fishermen, because I don't know how to fish these tasty fish in winter.

I'll try the above mentioned techniques!!!
    Roy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast