Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rod questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod questions

Hi guys I grew up using spincast reels and never got comfortable with spinning reels so here is my question is there any draw backs of putting a spincast reel on a spinning rod? Right now I use the pfleuger president spincast reel with a pfleuger rod. I was thinking about upgrading to a at croix rod but there spinning rods and was curious if it would have any setbacks using the spincast reel. And do you guys really think there worth the money? Or could anyone give me some other good rod choices. I mostly just throw little 1/16 oz jigs out. And i don't care to much for rods longer than 6'6 for just casting jigs thanks

Post Thanks / Like

They make trigger spins that are meant to go on spinning rods. Pfluger makes several models of them.
    Likes Slabs4Dinner LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Spincast reels on a spinning rod will work fine. Even though you're actually using the rod "upside down" from its normal position, it's probably not going to damage a quality rod.

Whether or not a rod is "worth the money" can only be answered by someone that can afford to pay for that rod. There's lots of quality rods out there, that are much cheaper than a St Croix. While I've never actually used a St Croix rod, I'm quite satisfied with the 6'6" PowerLite ESP rod that I use for casting jigs. Power Lite rods | Shop | ESP™ High Performance Ultra Light Rods by Norsemen Outdoors ....( Note: Grizzly Jigs sells these rods for about $10 less )

But, all that said .... for the price you're considering paying, you can get a quality baitcast rod. A baitcast rod has a "trigger" knob under the handle for better grip and control when casting with a spincast reel. A spinning rod handle may be a bit awkward to use with a spincast reel, but it's doable if that's what you really want.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I know they sell underspins but it's still a feel/comfort thing for me. Wish I could adjust but it just never came to me I borrowed a spinning reel from a buddy of mine and played with it for a month or two and it just never felt right. I'm just torn about getting a new rod I want a quality rod but they don't make them for spincast. And if I bought a spinning rod I don't want to loose any of it's sensitivity using it backwards it would be defeating the purpose of buying one. But honesty I don't think it would loose much sensitivity but I'm no rod expert either.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you would loose any sensitivity.

Post Thanks / Like

Wait a minute.... A spincast rod is the same as a trigger baitcasting rod. They make TONS of those.

You don't need to spend St Croix money to get a quality rod. But nothing wrong with going with one of the better name brands, if you have the extra cash laying around.

I highly recommend the Bass Pro Extreme rods, for what it's worth. Not cheap ($99, but go on sale for $59) but high quality.

Best wishes.

-TH

Post Thanks / Like

Well thanks for all the advice I guess I will just continue doing some more research. Gander my just had a triumph one piece 6'6 on sale for 89 with a 20 dollar mail in rebate is why this peaked my interest and I don't have lots of cash just laying around I just had some gift cards from the holidays and was wanting a good rod. I have had a lot of inexpensive rods that have broke mostly from carelessness. I still think spending the money on a st croix rod is worth it it's just using a spincast reel on it I'm still unsure of but spending 100bucks or so on a rod that carrys a 5 year warranty would prob be the same as me going through several cheaper ones but I don't know what there warranty covers either so I'm still up in the air about it

Post Thanks / Like

I have several st croix rods and love em! They have several different kinds/models. I have some that are baicaster rods with baitcaster reels. Also a couple spincast rods with spincast reel. They only spincast reel that I use is the shimano spirex. Thats my personal preference only, not advertising. The st. Croix rods I have are fiberglass rods, and they are most for fishing crankbaits for bass or for fishing soft lip game. Ultra sensitive with a nice stiff spine, this helps prevent hooks from tearing out of lips. There are a ton of other rods that are just as good and some probably better. Im just saying if u decide to go with st croix it wouldnt be a bad decision. But dont skip a meal for one.

Post Thanks / Like

I would go with a trigger rod with a spin cast. A spinning rod is meant to bend the opposite of the trigger. In a high module rod bending against the action can stress and break the rod.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok you say if I use it on a spincast the rod will be loading up in the opposite direction I get that but what material is meant to bend In only in one certain direction. I don't know of any material or thing that bends more one way or a different from one way to the other just a thought
    The more I think about it the more I don't really think it matters but who knows I could be wrong I'm no expert

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast