PDA

View Full Version : Rod questions

Jswails07
12-27-2014, 08:41 PM
Hi guys I grew up using spincast reels and never got comfortable with spinning reels so here is my question is there any draw backs of putting a spincast reel on a spinning rod? Right now I use the pfleuger president spincast reel with a pfleuger rod. I was thinking about upgrading to a at croix rod but there spinning rods and was curious if it would have any setbacks using the spincast reel. And do you guys really think there worth the money? Or could anyone give me some other good rod choices. I mostly just throw little 1/16 oz jigs out. And i don't care to much for rods longer than 6'6 for just casting jigs thanks

DockShootinJack
12-27-2014, 09:20 PM
They make trigger spins that are meant to go on spinning rods. Pfluger makes several models of them.

CrappiePappy
12-27-2014, 10:43 PM
Spincast reels on a spinning rod will work fine. Even though you're actually using the rod "upside down" from its normal position, it's probably not going to damage a quality rod.

Whether or not a rod is "worth the money" can only be answered by someone that can afford to pay for that rod. There's lots of quality rods out there, that are much cheaper than a St Croix. While I've never actually used a St Croix rod, I'm quite satisfied with the 6'6" PowerLite ESP rod that I use for casting jigs. Power Lite rods | Shop | ESP™ High Performance Ultra Light Rods by Norsemen Outdoors (http://esp.norsemenoutdoors.com/shop/category/esp-rods/power-lite-rods) ....( Note: Grizzly Jigs sells these rods for about $10 less )

But, all that said .... for the price you're considering paying, you can get a quality baitcast rod. A baitcast rod has a "trigger" knob under the handle for better grip and control when casting with a spincast reel. A spinning rod handle may be a bit awkward to use with a spincast reel, but it's doable if that's what you really want.

... cp :kewl

Jswails07
12-28-2014, 12:16 AM
Yeah I know they sell underspins but it's still a feel/comfort thing for me. Wish I could adjust but it just never came to me I borrowed a spinning reel from a buddy of mine and played with it for a month or two and it just never felt right. I'm just torn about getting a new rod I want a quality rod but they don't make them for spincast. And if I bought a spinning rod I don't want to loose any of it's sensitivity using it backwards it would be defeating the purpose of buying one. But honesty I don't think it would loose much sensitivity but I'm no rod expert either.

DockShootinJack
12-28-2014, 12:34 AM
I don't think you would loose any sensitivity.

thill
12-28-2014, 05:25 AM
Wait a minute.... A spincast rod is the same as a trigger baitcasting rod. They make TONS of those.

You don't need to spend St Croix money to get a quality rod. But nothing wrong with going with one of the better name brands, if you have the extra cash laying around.

I highly recommend the Bass Pro Extreme rods, for what it's worth. Not cheap ($99, but go on sale for $59) but high quality.

Best wishes.

-TH

Jswails07
12-28-2014, 10:37 AM
Well thanks for all the advice I guess I will just continue doing some more research. Gander my just had a triumph one piece 6'6 on sale for 89 with a 20 dollar mail in rebate is why this peaked my interest and I don't have lots of cash just laying around I just had some gift cards from the holidays and was wanting a good rod. I have had a lot of inexpensive rods that have broke mostly from carelessness. I still think spending the money on a st croix rod is worth it it's just using a spincast reel on it I'm still unsure of but spending 100bucks or so on a rod that carrys a 5 year warranty would prob be the same as me going through several cheaper ones but I don't know what there warranty covers either so I'm still up in the air about it

LowePro
12-28-2014, 04:59 PM
I have several st croix rods and love em! They have several different kinds/models. I have some that are baicaster rods with baitcaster reels. Also a couple spincast rods with spincast reel. They only spincast reel that I use is the shimano spirex. Thats my personal preference only, not advertising. The st. Croix rods I have are fiberglass rods, and they are most for fishing crankbaits for bass or for fishing soft lip game. Ultra sensitive with a nice stiff spine, this helps prevent hooks from tearing out of lips. There are a ton of other rods that are just as good and some probably better. Im just saying if u decide to go with st croix it wouldnt be a bad decision. But dont skip a meal for one.

crappielimits
12-28-2014, 05:09 PM
I would go with a trigger rod with a spin cast. A spinning rod is meant to bend the opposite of the trigger. In a high module rod bending against the action can stress and break the rod.

Jswails07
12-28-2014, 06:56 PM
Ok you say if I use it on a spincast the rod will be loading up in the opposite direction I get that but what material is meant to bend In only in one certain direction. I don't know of any material or thing that bends more one way or a different from one way to the other just a thought
The more I think about it the more I don't really think it matters but who knows I could be wrong I'm no expert

CrappiePappy
12-28-2014, 08:08 PM
Ok you say if I use it on a spincast the rod will be loading up in the opposite direction I get that but what material is meant to bend In only in one certain direction. I don't know of any material or thing that bends more one way or a different from one way to the other just a thought
The more I think about it the more I don't really think it matters but who knows I could be wrong I'm no expert

Ask a rod builder. The lay of the blank determines which "side" they'll put the guides on, considering which way the rod naturally bends (spinning rods bend towards the guides - baitcast rods bend away from the guides). It has something to do with how the blank bends naturally, as to where the guides are placed along the spine of the blank.

With a spinning rod, the guides are under the blank so that the line is pulling down & away from the rod, when using a spinning reel .... so, when you turn it upside down & put a spincast reel on it, it's bending the opposite way it's meant to bend, plus your line is pushing down on the guides and can come in contact with the rod blank when fighting a fish. This creates more friction on the line, and may make the rod blank easier to break (since you're bending it against the natural bend of the blank).

Now ... that's not to say that any damage "will" happen, if you use a spincast reel on a spinning rod. It's just a greater possibility than if you were using a baitcast rod & a spincast reel.

For a quality baitcast rod ... check out Shimano, G-Loomis, Diawa, Fenwick, Kistler, Okuma, Dobyns, or any of the other dozen or so "high end" rod mfg's ... along with the St Croix rods. You'll find they all have quality rods in the $100-$200 price range of a St Croix.

But, I'll be honest with you ... if I was prone to "carelessness" breaking cheap rods, I'd probably not go high end on a rod. I'd probably opt for something like a Berkley Lightning Rod 6'6" Med Power/Med fast action. Model LR661MC (about $40)

Something else to consider is what kind of handle the rod has ... that you're familiar & comfortable with. A "pistol grip" handle or a long handle (or even a extended handle - what I call a "poodle tail" extension).

... cp :kewl

Jswails07
12-28-2014, 08:50 PM
I can see your point and maybe this is a little more in depth than I thought. Thanks for the input

BuckeyeKdog
12-28-2014, 11:35 PM
Watch ebay, lots of Rod Bargains just watch shipping

DockShootinJack
12-29-2014, 12:19 AM
Or Sporting goods stores. I picked up to Matzou 6'6" cork handled spinning rods for $10.00 each on clearance.

thill
12-29-2014, 05:48 AM
Right now, there are a ton of after Christmas clearance sales going on. You can always check online, but also go to your local stores, and see what they have in trigger rods. I'm thinking you will find something really nice for a good price.

MANY rods come with lifetime warranties. Make sure to check when you buy, and KEEP the tags and receipt, in case you break the rod in the future.

-TH

Gobob
12-29-2014, 10:07 AM
I have one St.Croix med lit jigging rod, my neighbor only uses St. Croix rods. He told me to go with him and use his rods and the next time I picked up my rod it would feel like a broom stick. So I went and with the lightest jig I could tell what my jig was doing. Great rods pricey as heck , mine was $200 but I paid $100 . I used Cabelas club points, I love the fluegers I have several of them. Bottom line the fish don't know how much you spent on the rod and reel or if your in a $30K Ranger or $1500 Jon boat , location and presentation . If you have the money and want one go for it . Remember St.Croix makes some cheaper rods and some holy cow how much ! Get the middle of the road or near the top end. :hatchet: