Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Just A General Humminbird Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just A General Humminbird Question

Hello everyone, I've got a Humminbird question to ask. On my boat now I've got a Lowrance HDS8 Gen 2 and a Gen 1 structure scan. I think Lowrance has come out with a Gen 3 so that means there will be no more updates for my unit. Is this the same way Humminbird operates as far as updates on their units. Thanks for the info and Merry Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

You may get a faster answer in the fishing electronics and photography section.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

First I wouldn't think they would just cut off updates. I suspect Gen2 will be sold for awhile. Yes Bird has cut off updates to their legacy units as they age out. I see no reason to start worrying about it as long as your unit is still working. Most updates change very little anyway.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

No, Humminbird units update still. There may be some 10 year old units that don't, but a 997 still gets updates. They were released in 2006. 798 is a legacy unit and just helped get an update for one of them also.
    Last edited by crappielimits; 12-24-2014 at 06:48 PM.

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cray View Post
    First I wouldn't think they would just cut off updates. I suspect Gen2 will be sold for awhile. Yes Bird has cut off updates to their legacy units as they age out. I see no reason to start worrying about it as long as your unit is still working. Most updates change very little anyway.
    X2!
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

RCC is offline Crappie.com Legend and Arkansas Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Those fish don't know if that Gen I has had an update or not. Don't sweat the small stuff. Just put that awesome sonar equipment to good use until it don't play no more

Cray is correct. At some point all units will reach end of life and will no longer be updated.
    RCC's Crappie Eradication Service
    Eliminating your slab problems one fish at a time
    For free estimates give us a call at O U 812.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, no I'm not thinking about changing, shoot I'm just now getting to where I can halfway run mine. I was just wondering.

Post Thanks / Like

I have and hds 8 and a 998 hd si... Stick to the Hds 8 it can pick up structure and fish that are very hard to see or don't even show up on my hummingbird. I have the lss2 and it shows much greater detail than my 998 no matter how I set the 998.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyfreeland View Post
    I have and hds 8 and a 998 hd si... Stick to the Hds 8 it can pick up structure and fish that are very hard to see or don't even show up on my hummingbird. I have the lss2 and it shows much greater detail than my 998 no matter how I set the 998.
    Comparison pix ...??

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyfreeland View Post
    Check your transducer mounting. I have never saw a Lowrance out perform a Humminbird in SI.