Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Longlining/Pulling cranks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Longlining/Pulling cranks

First off, I fish out of a stratos 289 f/s boat with a 200 evinrude xp with a minnkota fortrex 80 trolling motor. Im set up for spider rigging with bee ready rod holder. The lake that I primarily fish has a 9.9hp limit. Know to the question, does anyone here ever longline out the front of the boat or is it all in the back of the boat? With my set up I can't fish out the back and drive the boat at the sametime, and I fish alone allot. Long lining is a technique that I would like to learn cause I never see anyone doing it here where I live. Any suggestions on this topic would be helpful! Oh, and the lake that I fish has a few grassy flats and the rest of it has so much structure that trying to spider rig for the couple times that I have was a total nightmare. I was constantly hung in the brush! Lol vertical jigging is the only style I been doing lately. Merry Christmas All!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

IMHO -
    If you can't spider rig the waters, you'll probably not be longlining or pulling/pushing cranks.

Bee Ready holders don't have a deep U bracket, so they might allow the rod to be pulled cockeyed in the loop or even pulled out of the holder if you're fishing out the side or off the back of the boat. You might be able to "push" from the front, but you'd have to know the area well enough to keep your baits above the tops of whatever cover you're running across.

Pushing/pulling cranks, longlining jigs, and even spider rigging (for the most part) are open water techniques ... where you work your baits "close" by cover or over top of it. Knowing how deep your baits are running, how deep the tops of the cover are, and good boat control are essential factors in these techniques. Longlining & pulling require constant forward motion, even when you get a bait hung up, in order to keep the other baits from doing the same. That's difficult enough in waters with scattered cover, and nearly impossible in waters with heavy cover.

Now, this is all just my opinion, and there may be ways to do these techniques that I'm not aware of, or considering.

... cp